Working Out w/ Pulled Hamstring

Kate U.
on 10/6/08 6:47 am - Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Hey guys,

I pulled my hamstring pretty bad the other week while accidentally doing the splits on skates (don't ask). Still played games 2 consecutive weekends after that against my better judgement, but now I don't have another game until October 25th so I'm trying to heal this up.  In the mean time, is there any cardio I can be doing because sitting around is driving me crazy.

This is frustrating because I was on week 1 of my Couch to 5k! booo!

Any help would be appreciated!

Kate
Linn D.
on 10/6/08 8:21 am - Missoula, MT
Sorry to hear that, Kate.  I've had a pulled hamstring and it's a tough one to heal.  Be very careful when you start working it again or you'll reinjure it.  Ease into it as much as you can.  See if you can get some PT or massage - really good for muscular problems.

As far as cardio goes, I do spin classes a lot.  Right mow my right hamstring is giving me fits (worked it a little hard over the weekend) and I'm looking forward to my spin class in the morning rather than another run.

I'd say you'll probably get the most out of biking hard or swimming.  I don't know what you have access to, but those would be my suggestions - p[artly because that's what I do.

Hope you're feeling better soon!

Linn
Kate U.
on 10/6/08 8:35 am - Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Thanks Linn!

I do have access to both a pool and a bike at my local gym. I've been telling myself to get back in there anyway (I've been running outside and skating is at a rink), so looks like the perfect excuse :)

I'm also going to call my insurance tomorrow and see about some PT.  :-)

Great suggestions. Thanks so much!

wjoegreen
on 10/6/08 11:55 pm - Colonial Heights, VA
I had a partailly torn, darn near completely torn, hamstring from playing softball (frist game of a double header and still played the second game hopping around on one good leg,...idiot that I am).  After about two weeks of minimum movement for initial healing, therapy was walking and some simple leg lift type work with light weight and some stretching stuff.  The trick was doing enough to rehab and help it heal correctly as possible without surgery but not doing too much too fast to make it worst.  So like our post op digestion, listen to your body and do as much as it will let you.  Thats my advice.
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
Kate U.
on 10/7/08 12:05 am - Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Ouch!!! I can't imagine fully tearing it!!! Good advice. I'll definitely be sure to listen to my body and will try not to push my limits too much ;)
Most Active