San Jose Rock and Roll Half Marathon Report

Brian W.
on 10/6/08 4:07 am - Belmont, CA

Well yesterday was my first ever Half Marathon in San Jose, CA.

Got to hang out a bit on Saturday with Kevin A and Kirsten, did some carb loading, then met up with them pre-race and we got into Corral 10.

Weather was very cool to start, it was overcast till just about the start of the race, then the sun came out.  I was pretty excited before the race, confident i could finish.

Race started a little after 8 am, we got to the start line about 8:09 am and it was on!

My strategy was to pace myself a little below my training runs at the beginning, going about a 10:30 to 11:00 pace

First 3 mile splits were exactly where i wanted to be:

Mile 1: 10:39
Mile 2: 10:35
Mile 3: 10:43

I passed the 5k mark feeling good, my next 3 miles were great as well. 

Mile 4: 10:46
Mile 5: 10:52
Mile 6: 11:10

At about 4.5 miles, I could see the elite runners coming back (Mile 12) and they are impressive.  After the 10k mark, i slowed a bit to down a salt packet.  I was still feeling relatively good.  One elderly lady was sitting in her wheelchair on the sidewalk with a sign that said "I'm too old to run, but I can still cheer"  Funny!

Mile 7: 10:49
Mile 8: 11:20

After Mile 8, my hips really started to give me some aches, so I dialed back my pace to make sure I wasn't totally spent.  I also walked through the water stations to gather some energy.

Mile 9: 12:15
Mile 10: 12:10
Mile 11: 12:12

After Mile 11, my hips were really burning, but I could sense the finish line.

Mile 12: 12:26

Just after Mile 12, there is an underpass and the final small hill, I was using everything I had left to push myself up the hill.  I turned the corner for the final quarter-mile and random strangers were there cheering everyone on, even a couple were on the course high-fiving people as they went by.

I turned the corner at Mile 13: 11:32.  The final straightaway to the finish, I gave it all I had left, nothing was gonna be left in the tank.  The pain in my hips subsided as the adrenaline took over and I crossed the finish line at 2:29:36 official chip time. My girlfriend saw me finish and I had my name announced too, as I crossed the line!  I grabbed water, ice washcloth and various food items, plus i got my finishers medal.

I met my goal of finishing before 2:30 and i had no bathroom stops.  Afterwards, i had the classic runner's walk going on, some cramping in my lower legs, but i kept walking to let the body return to normal.  Met up with Kevin and Kirsten again (who set personal records for their half-marathon) and we went to watch NFL games at a local sports bar and eat really good food.

Probably one of the best and most tiring weekends I've had.  Will I do another one or even a full marathon?  Not sure on the full marathon as the half-marathon took everything out of me.  I may do more half-marathons and will probably line up a few more 10ks before the year is out.

I'm feeling pretty well the morning after, some residual soreness and aches, but not bad for running 13.1 miles.

Brian
~350

Linn D.
on 10/6/08 8:09 am - Missoula, MT
Nice Job Brian!

Congratulations, and I'm glad you had a good time!  I really like doing the big races like that.  They're so much fun!

Here's to the next one!

Linn
misstilly
on 10/6/08 9:35 am - Cosby, TN
Great job Brian.  Way to work thru the pain.

Sue

215/210/117/120
HW/SW/CW/GOAL  I'M AT MY GOAL

Rob S.
on 10/6/08 10:58 am - DE
Great job.  I love these runner stories!  It's so great to hear everyone starting and finishing these events.
Rob
Cassie W.
on 10/6/08 11:39 am
Congratulations Brian!  You did a great job implementing your pacing strategy.  With such a large race, it's so easy to get carried away by the crowd and go out too fast.  But, you ran a smart race.

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Most Active