Harvest Fair 3k fun run report

Seht
on 10/5/08 3:18 am, edited 10/8/08 1:19 am
Yay I did it.  I am so much happier with my performance today than I was with my triathlon.
I completed the entire race without stopping, and my time was better than anything I had ever done before.  My best time had been one 12 minute mile, but most of the time I am in the 14-16 minute range in the gym,  Today I managed the 2 miles with an 11 minute pace.  

So the race starts off at the local fairgrounds and winds through the surrounding neighborhood.  It is an out and back run.  On the way out it is all either flat or uphill, more up than flat.  I suppose that is actually the more humane path, because it makes the trip back in much easier on me.

My whole goal for today was to run the race without stopping.  So I put myself in the back of the starting pack, figuring I would be one of the last to finish.  I started out real slow, but I found that I kept catching up to the people in front of me.  As I navigated my way through the crowd, I started to catch those people who had taken off like rabbits.  Some of the speedy starters were already walking less than 1/2 a mile into the run.  This was actually a great feeling, and I think it helped me to keep the pace and reel in a few more people.  I ended up finishing in the middle of the pack.  Let me tell you it is a lot harder on the knees running on the street than it is in the gym, but it certainly isn't as boring, and I found out that I can run a lot faster than the treadmill had me convinced i was going. 

Today was exactly what I needed to keep me motivated and working to progress and improve my running.  My second sprint-triathlon is only a week away, and I'm looking forward to attacking that course.  I'm not intimidated by it any longer, because I know I can do it.  Now it's all about doing it better.

Well, the times are in and here is how I did:

I finished 190th out of 393 runners

I was number 20 out of 38 for my age group 40-49

My time for the 3k was 20:49 and I averaged 11:08 for my pace  Those numbers don't add up, but it's what they posted.  I think it should be more like an 11:25 pace, but whatever.  Since the run isn't chipped, I guess it could allow for human error between the time they looked at the clock and the time they wrote down my finish.

Thanks

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Elisa K.
on 10/5/08 5:00 am - Lumberton, NJ
Congratulations Scott!!  Sounds like you had an awesome race!!
Linn D.
on 10/5/08 10:50 am - Missoula, MT
Congrats, Scott!

I'm so happy for you and glad you had a good running experience.  Next week's tri will be a piece of cake.

Believe it or not, I find it harder to run slow on the tread than faster.  Do you have access to good fans?  When I'm in the gym I absolutely need one.  I have it pointed at my back on the highest setting.  The hotter I am, the harder it is to even run.

Great job, and good luck with your tri next week!

Linn
panhead58fl
on 10/5/08 12:48 pm - Barboursville, WV
 Sounds like you had a great run. Nothing like having a good run to motivate you. The first 5K I did, I just wanted to run the whole thing and finish. Congrats.

pan head
jon1970
on 10/5/08 3:19 pm
Awesome job Scott!

wjoegreen
on 10/6/08 4:47 am - Colonial Heights, VA
You are going to need a speedier moniker,....
Seht racer,....sethester,.....sethy, seester, streak, sly_plodding_one, Hareturtoise, the_creeper, pass_u_when_not_looking, bolt_action,....help me out here dude!   YugowithPorchseMotor, blacktopBlazer?
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
Seht
on 10/6/08 4:57 am
On October 6, 2008 at 11:47 AM Pacific Time, wjoegreen wrote:
You are going to need a speedier moniker,....
Seht racer,....sethester,.....sethy, seester, streak, sly_plodding_one, Hareturtoise, the_creeper, pass_u_when_not_looking, bolt_action,....help me out here dude!   YugowithPorchseMotor, blacktopBlazer?
I will stick with

No sence getting overly ambitious ;-)

wjoegreen
on 10/6/08 7:11 am, edited 10/6/08 7:12 am - Colonial Heights, VA
Issue solved.  I was unaware of your team logo.  I like it!!!
Are there dues,...I might qualify with a little more work.  I can't get the "T" part at this point.
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
Seht
on 10/6/08 7:58 am
No dues, but I can certainly send you the link to the company that made the shirt.   They have a good variety of shirt styles available, and their turn around time is excellent.
Or you could desing your own, they are very easy to work with.  Just upload your picture, and then type in your words, they have a preview of what it will look like.

http://www.zazzle.com/235936501277059301

Scott

Most Active