3 meals vs 6 meals

azreggie
on 10/4/08 7:03 am - Tucson, AZ
My trainer says that I should be eating 6 small meals a day, especially when we do weight training.( He wants me to have a carb(fruit) before and after)  I saw my nut for my 6 month post op and she says 3 meals a day plus one protein snack.  I'm so confused.  He did say that I should talk to my nut about this, as she might not know how much I'm working out.  What do you all think? Thanks in advance.

Reggie

Linn D.
on 10/4/08 7:59 am - Missoula, MT
One thing I've noticed about nutritionists involved with bariatric patients is that they insist that you eat much less.  My surgeon's office and the support group I occasionally attend in my town had a fit when I told them how often and how many calories I was eating a day.  My BMI is about 26, but my body fat is only 18%. 

The thing is, that as you get to a more normal weight and work out with higher intensity, the body will need more.  Scott's nutritionist told him not to eat more than 1000 cal/day while he's been training for triathlons.  I'm sorry, but there's no way that would be enough for a man in that situation.  If your nut doesn't realize the amount of time and intensity of your workouts, then you might look into a sports nutritionist.  Recovery is a big issue.  It's really important to eat to fuel and to replenish after your workouts.

If at this point you feel fatigued during your workouts, that's a really good indication that you need more fuel.  If you work out daily and your 3rd or 4th of the week is almost always 'bad' chances are that you're not replenishing well enough after. 

Take this with a grain of salt since I really don't know your situation, but I eat something before and after every workout (I do mine in the mornings) and then another small something about an hour later.  Then I eat 2 main meals and still snac****asionally during the day.

Linn
Rob S.
on 10/4/08 12:08 pm - DE
I have been doing six meals (2 protein smoothies) a day for five years.  I use a sports nutriitionist who has worked with my surgeon's nutritionist to come up with my plan.  You need to be your own advocate and listen to your body.
Rob
Chris G.
on 10/4/08 1:39 pm
I agree with the other 2 posters, you should consult a sports nutritionist that will work with your surgeon's nutritionist so that you can get a personalized diet that will work with your special diet issues.

Chris Gillette, MS
www.chriseducatedguess.blogspot.com
azreggie
on 10/5/08 2:31 am - Tucson, AZ
My nut also has us at 700-800 calories a day still, at 6 mos post op. I don't think she factored in the exercise at all.  I believe that my PT has a degree in nutrition,(I will ask him) so he would be the one to go to. I will research this further.  Thank you all for your posts. 

Reggie

Most Active