No marathon this weekend

Cassie W.
on 10/3/08 10:24 am
Despite the ice and rest, the pain in my hip didn't improve, so I saw my doc this morning.  She said no marathon, continue to rest, and referred me to physical therapy to be treated for IT band syndrome.  Hopefully, there won't be a lengthy delay in the referral process, so I can hit the road to recovery.

Just these 12 days of rest have been tough, so I hope it won't be too long before I can run again.  Maybe I'll have to schedule those swim lessons, so I can channel this time and energy into something productive.

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Elisa K.
on 10/3/08 10:49 am - Lumberton, NJ
I'm so sorry Cassie!  Take care of yourself - you will be back running in no time!

Swim lessons sound like an awesome idea!!
MaryS
on 10/3/08 11:19 am - Long Island, NY
Cassie,

I'm so sorry to hear that you aren't up to the marathon.  However, it is great to hear you are doing the sensible thing and giving yourself time to recover and not push through the pain and possibly do more damage.  I think the swimming sounds like a great idea, it will keep you active and help pass the time until you can run again.

Take care,

Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Sherry_Berry
on 10/4/08 7:28 am - Dacula, GA
Sorry!!! I know how much you were looking foraward to this. My sports chiro said you can run THROUGH itb...but I'm no doc!

Anyhoo-speaking of sports chiros...I've had more benefit from mine than through PT!
If you can, find one who specializes in ART (Active release therapy) and Graston technique. It's kept my off the injured list for 1.5 years!
Linn D.
on 10/4/08 7:41 am - Missoula, MT
Oh Cassie,  I'm sooo sorry!  You worked so hard for it.

Hope you're better in no time.

Linn
misstilly
on 10/4/08 9:34 am - Cosby, TN
Cassie sorry to hear that there wasn't a marathon for you today.  I am currently being treated with PT for IT band.  The Therapist I go to is a runner and she understands about the need to run.  I have been going for a month and she had let me start running again (short distance) about my 2nd week in. I do have exercises that Ihave to do 3-4 times aday, but it has been worth it,  it is feeling alot better now.

Sue 

215/210/117/120
HW/SW/CW/GOAL  I'M AT MY GOAL

Rob S.
on 10/4/08 12:04 pm - DE
Sorry about having to table the marathon, but there will be more.  Sometimes physical theraphy can be quicker than you think.  I just got graduated from my PT this week, but I was allowed to run during my visits.  The important thing with the PT is to find one who knows runners.  Since the one I go to is married to a former olympic runner, he knows the runners passion.  The important thing I found was to do the exercises that they give you.  And take advantage of those deep tissue massages, they are awesome. 
Again, sorry that your on the bench, but swimming might be a good option.
Good luck.
Rob
tarateacher
on 10/4/08 1:41 pm
RNY on 08/07/07 with
Oh Cassie - I'm so sorry.  I 've had ITB myself.  I irritated teh right one in early AUgust butlaid off running enough to get it to settle down and I saw our athletic trainer at school (I teach high school and we have them on staff for the sports teams).  He helped me a lot and I was able to run the first half of my half marathon well then I finishee the last 4 miles in sheer agony but I finished.  I've had to take the alst month off. I've run a couple of times btu that it is.  I start to get twinges of pain near my second mile.  Now I have to have my gallbladder out this week so I am sidelined again.  I'll start to train again in about a month and I wills tart all over a gain.  Dont know how far I will be abel to run...but I will start. I do my next half in March.  POint is - take your docs advice, heal and then you can start again, this time iwth a better program that incorprates lots of cross training and streching - that's what I'm gonna do.

tara

Tara

Cassie W.
on 10/5/08 12:37 am
Thanks everyone for sharing your empathy, advice and experience.  Running through the pain  wasn't an option since the hip hurts with just everyday walking.  I'm encouraged to hear that PT has helped several of you get back on the road.  The therapist that I'm going to see has his doctorate and is a competitive runner, who has been running for 20 years.  He recently set a course record on a local  32.6 mile trail run.   So, I'm sure he understands the compulsion to run.

Again, thanks for your words of encouragement.

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Most Active