bikram yoga

candidawn
on 10/1/08 10:39 pm - cortland, NY
There is studio about 15 minutes from me,  I've been eying it everytime I drive by. 

My biggest concern is the whole dehydration thing,  I'm just a little over 7 weeks out and I admit I'm just now getting to the point where I can get in at least my 60 ozs  of liquids during the day.    Common sense tells me that at this point it probalby woudn't be the best thing to do.   I should probably wait until I know I don't have problem getting the liquids in..

Anyone with any experience with it, I'd appriciate any suggestions.

Chris G.
on 10/1/08 11:55 pm, edited 10/2/08 12:03 am
You SHOULD NOT do the bikram yoga yet. I understand the desire to do it, but you should be concentrating on walking and doing other mild aerobic exercise if you are able to.

Here's a link to see if you are medically ready to engage in exercise.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/fitness/cmsID,2431/mode,content/

Bottom line though: check with your physician first!
Chris Gillette, MS
www.chriseducatedguess.blogspot.com
candidawn
on 10/2/08 12:31 am - cortland, NY
Just curious why you believe I shouldn't be doing it.  I've been doing Ashtanga for a quite a while now and I only took the first two weeks off after surgery...   As for walking.. I get in more than enough with my job at the post office
Chris G.
on 10/2/08 1:29 am
I'm sorry, I didn't know that you were already doing yoga and didn't take much time off.

The reason why I believe in more aerobic exercise is that scientifically speaking, aerobic exercise mobilizes fat cells to be used as energy. As far as doing what you are doing, go ahead. Strength and flexibility training are extremely helpful in losing weight and becoming healthy. I love yoga and use it when I trained athletes.

I just wanted to make sure that you weren't diving in over your head, so to speak. I didn't know that you were already practicing without trouble. I also wanted to stress that aerobic exercise is the best and most efficient way to mobilize fat into use for energy.
Chris Gillette, MS
www.chriseducatedguess.blogspot.com
candidawn
on 10/2/08 5:32 am - cortland, NY
Ohh ok.. Gottcha!!!   Had me worried that it was just a really bad thing.   I probably should have been a little more clear in the fact that my concern was more of the dehydration part, rather then the physical aspect of thems!!
sablouwho
on 10/4/08 2:22 am - La La Land, CA
I tried bikram once (pre-op) but it was too hot for me. If you really wanna try it, maybe just try ONE class and see how you feel?

FWIW, I'm 16 weeks out and I still have a challenge getting my liquids in. I do well with Pilates, Gyrotonics, dance classes, swimming/aqua jogging, and the elliptical. Unlike you, yoga is a toughie for me...I didn't like it pre-op so I didn't expect to like it post-op (whereas all the other activities were ones that were my exercises of choice pre-op--at least when I could get myself to exercise!)

I think it's a very personal thing but if you already like other forms of yoga, I don't see why you couldn't stick with them and get the benefit that way.
Most Active