loose skin help

clring5
on 10/1/08 1:20 pm - Colorado Springs, CO
Hi everyone, I've been working out lifting weights and running for almost a year now...it's REALLY helped with the loose skin post op. But.....the last 15lbs lost has done it for me - I now have visible saggy/loose skin under my arms/armpits and on the back of my thighs (especially when going up the stairs in shorts). Is there any specific weightlifting or exercises that have helped any of you with this issue?

Surgery date: Oct 11,2007; Goal Reached July 1, 2008.

Thank God for second chances.

DANCBJAMMIN
on 10/1/08 3:13 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Unfortunately, there is no excercise that can take away loose skin. It sounds like you are doing all the right things, but when you go from obese to a normal size, you are bound to have some loose skin. Consider all that you have changed and traded for a little loose skin.... A very limited number people are lucky enough to not have this problem, but for the most part, everyone will probably have some to a degree. I wish you continued success on your journey and if the skin really becomes a hinderance or cumbersome, consult with a plastic surgeon to explore your options.

-Dan
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

clring5
on 10/2/08 5:08 am - Colorado Springs, CO
Thanks Dan. I know I have to focus on all the success I've had. What's a little loose skin if I am not diabetic etc...thanks for putting it in perspective for me. Sometimes I need to be hit over the head. :) Thanks

Sherry_Berry
on 10/1/08 6:38 pm - Dacula, GA
I'm an Ironman and still have awful skin on my legs. Oh...and I had a ****ty thigh lift a few years ago. I hate my legs!!!

Keep lifting girlie!!! It won't help the skin, but it will help you overall!
clring5
on 10/2/08 5:09 am - Colorado Springs, CO

Thanks for the encouragement - So , what is an Ironman exactly?

Sherry_Berry
on 10/2/08 5:25 am - Dacula, GA
Ironman is an ultra endurance race.

You have a 17 hour time limit.

Swim: 2.4 miles (ocean, lake or river)
Bike 112 miles
Run a full marathon (26.2 miles)

You have no breaks.

If you don't cross the finish in time, no ironman medal for you.

My next one is November 23rd...
www.ironmanarizona.com
clring5
on 10/2/08 5:33 am - Colorado Springs, CO

Wow!! Hats off to you! I am amazed!!

I can only hope to progress that far. I ran 7 miles ( my furthest) Labor day for the 1st time but now I have the darn IT Band syndrome and have slowed way down on everything - can only jog about 25-30 mins slow with stretching in between. Trying to manage that injury and then up my mileage again to keep progressing..

Quick question - do you struggle with being too thin? or having people tell you that? I am down to a size 2 and loving it but everyone rags on me and tries to get me to workout less.... it is playing games with my HEAD!

Sherry_Berry
on 10/2/08 12:00 pm - Dacula, GA
My looks are deceiving. I have a smaller top half and a fat bottom half. I'm overweight still.

I have bouts of ITB. I have a sport chiro who specializes in ART (active release therapy-they dig into your muscles while stretching you out) and Graston (tools that break down scar tissue). He fixes me up in no time!

Your body will fall where it wants to fall. I hit a low and went up 15-20 depending on the day. I'm also 5 years out. I lost all my weight in 9 months.

So, with me maintaining WL is a struggle.
StephanieF.
on 10/6/08 5:04 am
Sherry, if you don't mind my asking, why are you unhappy with your thigh lift?  Problem with the doctor, the surgery, or what?

Extended tummy tuck/hernia repair on July 28, 2008! Five pounds of skin removed!
Be miserable. Or motivate yourself.  Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice. ~W.D

Weight at surgery on July 26, 2006: 304 lbs
Lowest weight: 147 (157 pounds lost!)
Regain over the past 2 years (2012-2014) - 59 pounds
REBOOTING! :) Working on losing back down to 160 (beginning Jan. 18, 2015)

kypdurran
on 10/3/08 12:48 am - Baton Rouge, LA

Hi clring5.   As everyone said, there's only so much you can do for loose skin and it looks like you are doing everything you are supposed to.   Genetics plays a big part in how and if you skin will snap back but like you, most of us just have to deal with the results of losing large amounts of weight.   I'm lucky that I don't have more loose skin that I have after losing 260 pounds.  I have a bit around my belly but that's it.   My trick when I exercise is I use compression tops and shorts.   I buy them a size smaller than I wear and they do the trick keeping everything in place.  UnderArmor is one of the most common brands of compression gear but you can also find store brands at Academy and most other national brand sports stores.

Best of luck!

Chad
www.team464.com

Most Active