Shin splints?

Jacque V.
on 9/29/08 2:10 am - Kinderhook, NY
Hi all,
I was wondering if there is any way to avoid getting shin splints?  Many (and I mean MANY) years ago, I used to run but I frequently had them.  Now that I'm starting to run again (I'm on the second week of the couch to 5k program), I got to thinking about the shin splints.  I really don't want anything to deter my running.  I haven't had any problems yet, but is there a way to avoid them by exercise or something?  Any thoughts would be appreciated!  Thanks
Jacque

5'3" - HW 248/SW 222/CW 137/GW 120

JeremyGentles
on 9/29/08 3:19 am - Johnson City, TN
Hello Jacque,
First things first.....don't over do it as you start running again.

While I would always suggest a good strength training program to compliment a running program, there is one area in particular that you can focus on that may help you avoid shin splints.

A couple of times a week I would suggest performing exercises that focus on dorsiflexion. Exercises like heel walks and/or acutally dorsiflexing against resistance should help.

Jeremy Gentles, MA, CSCS
ObesityHelp Exercise Physiologist

Jacque V.
on 9/29/08 6:08 am - Kinderhook, NY
Thanks Jeremy,
I actually found some information on dorsiflex exercises that are supposed to help prevent shin splints.  I will definately add them to my workout. 
I have been taking the running very slowly.  I already have a strength training program that I follow at the YMCA which I've been doing since before I had WLS.  I started it back up about 6 weeks after surgery.  I have also been doing  cardio on the eliptical trainer.  I just added the running last week - hence, my second week of the couch to 5K, 3 days per week.  I've learned the hard way in the past, now I go slow!!  Thanks again!

5'3" - HW 248/SW 222/CW 137/GW 120

Most Active