Work out question

AAADAwg
on 9/27/08 4:42 am - Carlton, GA

I have a question about working out for some of ya'll. I spend about an hour and 15 minutes a day five days a week working out (circuit weights) I do upper body one day and legs/abdomen/back the next. After working out I walk for at least 45 minutes. I have been doing this on a tread mill but I recently started doing it outdoors and it is much more enjoyable outside the gym. My question is this...is it better to walk on a treadmill or actually walk outside? Another question I have is is it better to weight train first and then do the cardio work or vice versa? I feel like I get a better work out with the weights if I do them first, especially on the days that I do leg work with the weights. 

I also have hit a plateau in weight loss but I am definitely still losing inches so I of course i hope that this means that i am adding some muscle mass. My question about this is if anyone has any suggestions about jumpstarting the weight loss again IF it continues to be sluggish for more than three months or so?

When faced with the choice to sit it out or dance.....I'm doing the RHUMBA!!!!

puddin2day
on 9/27/08 5:01 am - Los Angeles, CA
I have read that it is best to do cardio before weights.  You have a good question.  How do you feel when you are doing your last rep on each set ?  Can you complete the last one easily or do you have to struggle a little?  If you complete the last easily, probably your muscles are accostomed to that amount of reps; so either increase the # of reps that you or increase the amt. of weight that you lift.
It will be interesting to see what others would have to say about this.
Kim
Without struggle, there is no progress.

AAADAwg
on 9/27/08 11:20 am - Carlton, GA
I usually do about 25 - 30 reps at a weight that is pretty easy...although by about 25 or so it gets heavy. Then I do between 20-25 reps heavier weight, about 5-7 pounds or so heavier and then I do another set of 10 - 20 reps with another 5-7 pounds and by the end of that set I have about done all I could do. I have most definitely added some muscle mass and have some definition for the first time since I was in High School!! I would have never thought it was possible at 43 years of age but it is!!!

puju11
on 10/1/08 10:15 am - NJ
My weight training is pretty intense so I try to weight train first (if I'm doing Step class after). If I walk with my GF outside I do that first (medium pace). I heard its better to walk out side because of the hills and different compact it has on your feet but if I walk on the tread mill I put it on a pretty high incline and sweat like a p.....g. Another thing is I change my work outs all the time to work different muscle groups and i love different cardios. I have to say I love working out! I've been doing it for years and it helps me mentally BIG TIME!!!!  Keep doing what your doing but change things up if you can. Good Luck!!!
AAADAwg
on 10/1/08 7:09 pm - Carlton, GA

Thanks for your reply. I agree that working out is great for your mental outlook...it is unbelievable!!! I know that I never believed it before I had surgery and lost some weight but working out is WAAAAAYYYYYY better for controlling stress and improving you outlook on life than a bag of Oreos is...and their is no guilt in taking a long walk!

I have actually started running some. I don't run much because I think it is an unatural act for a 43 year old man to run much but a little bit sure makes a difference!!! I am also doing some stationary bycicle now and my goal is to get to the point that I can ride a bike about 10 miles or so a day. I want to ride a bike to take my son to school and pick him up in the morning. Im like you, working out s great!!!

Chris G.
on 10/2/08 5:10 am, edited 10/2/08 6:01 am
Do what feels best to you, each person is different. That being said, if you are going to increase strength gains the best thing to do is wait about 45 mins-1 hr between doing cardio/aerobic and resistance.

I'm a fan of being outdoors (partially b/c of my ADD ) because it is natural. Running on something that is artificial is against our basic instincts (if you view humans as animals), whereas running/walking outside is natural. Honestly, do whatever makes you feel comfortable. Some people love the treadmill and hate the outdoors, which is fine. Do what YOU want to and what is best for your schedule.

A quick tip I use is interval training. Here's an excellent article that is extremely readable and easy to follow (plus I really like reading the magazine).

http://www.menshealth.com/cda/article.do?site=MensHealth&channel=fitness&category=cardio.activities&conitem=882a99edbbbd201099edbbbd2010cfe793cd____

Hope that helps!
Chris Gillette, MS
www.chriseducatedguess.blogspot.com
Most Active