disappointed

pennisweet
on 9/25/08 10:01 pm - Windsor, MO
I am feeling a little bit disappointed because I have been working out and I am not losing any weight.  I am aware that muscle weighs more than fat but it just discourages me when I work so hard and when I step on the scale it is either the same or even higher.  I have never jogged before and just recently (about 2 weeks) I have been jogging 2 minutes walking 2 minutes for about 30 minutes.  Then I lift weights for about 30 minutes and I am just not losing any weight.  I am only 5 foot and weighed 160 this morning.  Before I started working out which was about 2 months ago I wieghed about 155 now I am always 158 or above.  I hate that, please any advice.  Thanks in advance and God bless, Penni
Elisa K.
on 9/25/08 11:33 pm - Lumberton, NJ
Hi Penni:
I started running this past spring.  I felt the same way - I was running 3 days a week, and the scale was not moving, in fact, just like you, it went up 2 lbs.  It took a few months, but now the scale is moving again.  I've also dropped a size over the summer. 

You need to stick with the exercise - it is very important!!  You may not see pounds drop off, but I bet you are dropping inches.  You will see the results - it just takes a little time.
JustinsMama
on 9/26/08 1:26 am - NC

282/226/199   

Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness.

(deactivated member)
on 9/26/08 7:30 am - FL
Penni, I know how disappointed you must be.  I've been there too!  There's probably nothing anyone can say that will make you feel better about it, but I can tell you that in this case the scale is not the only indicator that you should go by.  Just try to zone in on the positives: 

* increased energy, strength, endurance
* firmer, sexier body
* better cardiovascular fitness
* improved skin tone
* smaller, more compact size--160 can be soft & mushy or firm & sexy!

In case that's not enough...just remember you will eventually start burning more calories when you develop more muscle. 

I absolutely believe that you won't be sexy and vibrant without exercise.  I never got hit on before I started exercising, but I'm 50 years old and I get way more attention now than I did when I was younger!  I think exercise just makes us more attractive overall.   Keep going!
Cassie W.
on 9/26/08 10:08 am
Penni,

I had to go back to journaling my food intake in order to get the scale moving in the right direction again.  I found that I was eating more than I realized in an effort to be properly fueled for my workouts.  My journal also revealed that I was shorting myself on protein.  It really helped me to refocus my eating habits and ensure that I had the energy to be active.

Always remember that the scale is not the only measure of success.  You're making tremendous progress just by adopting an active lifestyle. 

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Most Active