Recovery after 12 miler and tapering strategy

Brian W.
on 9/22/08 9:00 am - Belmont, CA
So I did my 12 mile run as my last really long run before my half and I was really taxed yesterday.  My legs were just dead and I really though I would need a scooter or something to get around today lol (ok maybe that not bad).  I was hobbling around the day after my 10 miler the week before and could really feel it into Tuesday.

Today I wake up and no soreness to speak of, even my knees, which were sore, are holding up well.

Can my body adapt that fast to the distance running?  Would like some other opinions there

Also, I am planning to taper my runs this week.  I am resting today, but plan to do 4-3-4 (Tues-Wed-Thurs), then a 7 miler on Sunday.  Then do 4-rest-4 the week of my half marathon, with 2 full rest days before the event.  Is that a good tapering strategy?

Brian
~350
Cassie W.
on 9/22/08 8:43 pm
Brian, I think your tapering plan looks good to ensure that you have fresh legs for the half.  I like to put a little extra time in gentle stretches in my last two weeks so I'm not tight going into the race.  I don't do anything new; I just put in the extra time instead of rushing through.

Your experience with the 10-miler vs the 12-miler is not unusual.  There are so many variables that could account for the soreness at 10 that you didn't feel at 12.  With the 12, you may have had better sleep, fuel, hydration, form, running surface, etc. 

Have a great race!

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Sherry_Berry
on 9/24/08 6:42 am - Dacula, GA
I don't know your routine, so I'm throwing this out there.

1. Stretch immediately after your runs

2. Your muscles need to recover. Get a 4:1 carb protein ratio in you within 30 minutes of finishing. I do LF Choco milk.

3. What is your 12 mile pace compared to your 5 or 10k pace? My legs only feel how you are describing after I raced a half or full IM. Or, if I raced a half mari I would be tight the next day, but I don't feel like I need a scooter.

Also-are you fueling for your run? I'll take a gel on the hour and every 30 minutes after that. I need the fuel. Some people don't.

How are your electrolytes? Eat bananas? Do you find yourself cramping on the run? They make salt pills...
Most Active