Niantic Bay 5K report

Scott William
on 9/21/08 10:43 pm
I had a choice of a half for $45 or a 5K for $25.  Since I had done a long run on Thursday, I opted for the 5K.  Since I had a really tough summer time wise, I didn't really have great expectations but the though of a PR is always there.  My PR is 24:17 for a 5K.

This course is awesome for running fast.  The first 1/3 mile is down hill and the rest is as falt as a pancake.  The weather was a bit warm but overall, you couldn't ask for a better day.  I didn't eat anything in the morning because gastric distress can become an issue quickly.

Mile 1 split - 7:52 - not PR pace but a nice quick clip and good start time.
Mile 2 split - 15:52 - This was exactly 8 minute pace and it's also where I usually let my mind wander and mentally break down.  I was proud that I held it together in mile 2.
Finish time - 24:44 - which was 7:59 pace.  Good enough for me.

The last 100 yards this girl pulled up alond side me to pass.  It was like slow motion.  She was only going perahaps .1 mph faster than me but I couldn't stay with her.  I sit here today and say, "why didn't I just run faster".  I just couldn't though.  At the finish, I was on the verge of puking.  I guess that means I had put myself to the edge without going over.  Perfect!
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Seht
on 9/22/08 5:59 am
Congrats on your run Scott.

It sounds like you gave it a really good effort.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

misstilly
on 9/22/08 7:10 am - Cosby, TN

Congrats Scott.  I hope to be at 8min pace someday.

Sue

215/210/117/120
HW/SW/CW/GOAL  I'M AT MY GOAL

Judi J.
on 9/22/08 7:15 am - MN
Congratulations! what a great pace.

My dh is going to run his first marathon next April and wants me to order those stick on tattoos that will have your pace on your arm. have you ever used those?
Scott William
on 9/22/08 9:26 pm
I have not but I am looking at getting some for the half and full in January.  However, those are Disney races and I don't really care how fast I run there.  It's more fun being out there longer anyway.
Scott

Cassie W.
on 9/22/08 10:07 am
Nice job on those splits Scott!  You really nailed the pacing.  I can't wait to hear how you do at Disney this year!

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Scott William
on 9/22/08 9:27 pm
It was tough to consentrate that long but it worked out.  Thanks
Scott

puddin2day
on 9/24/08 2:42 am - Los Angeles, CA

Scott,

Great race and even better splits!  I hope that one day I will be as fast as you.

Kim

Without struggle, there is no progress.

kypdurran
on 9/24/08 7:11 am - Baton Rouge, LA

Dat's quick my man.   Congrats!

Chad

Most Active