New Half Marathon PR

Cassie W.
on 9/21/08 10:05 am
Today was our local half marathon around the lake.  It's a small rural event hosted by the area running club that's just a lot of fun because of all the familiar faces.  I knew going into the race this morning that I had a chance for a great run.

Weather:  Perfect. Overcast,  cool, low humidity.
Sleep/Hydration/Fuel:  All good. No intestinal issues before, during or after the race.
Familiarity with the route:  Trained on the hilly course many times.
Training cycle:  The last 13-mile run before my marathon Oct. 5. Lots of miles under my belt.
Injuries:  None - ankle has been strong and pain free.

So, with the stars perfectly aligned, I finished the half in 2:06:09 - for a 9:37 pace.  Last year, it took me 2:32 to finish the same course!  The body is truly amazing in its ability to adapt to the demands that we place upon it.

Now, it will be interesting to see what kind of a pace I can maintain for the full marathon in two weeks.

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Linn D.
on 9/21/08 10:53 am - Missoula, MT
Sounds like it was a great race, Cassie!

So, next year it'll be sub 9-minute miles, right?  That's what I'm hoping for!

Can't wait to hear about the marathon!

Linn
Cassie W.
on 9/21/08 11:29 am
Linn, that 8:46 BQ pace is looking more attainable than I ever imagined.  I'll just have to keep reassessing when I can realistically set it as a goal.  Depending on how my training progresses in the next year, I may use my fall 2009 marathon as my first attempt to qualify.  We'll see. 

Cassie

Brian W.
on 9/21/08 1:50 pm - Belmont, CA
Nice run Cassie

I did my first 12 mile run today in 2:13 and the last 2 miles were really tough.  That was my final tuneup run before my first half on Oct 5th.

I can only dream of doing a sub-10 min half haha.

Brian
~350
Cassie W.
on 9/21/08 8:22 pm
Brian,

I think that last tune-up race is always the hardest.  It's the one where you push yourself beyond your limits without the promise of a finish line at the end.  With that 12 behind you, you're ready for the half!  Enjoy the taper and the joy of finishing. 

When I go into a race, I'm constantly reassessing my goals up or down depending upon weather, sleep, injury, etc.  I was expecting to run this one at a 10:15 pace, but everything fell into place for a faster finish.

Good luck with your race.

Cassie

MaryS
on 9/21/08 10:03 pm - Long Island, NY
Cassie,

Great job - you are amazing!  Your time improvement is an incredible inspiration.

Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Scott William
on 9/21/08 10:11 pm
Way to go Cassie.   Real nice time!  It seems like it all lined up nicely for you but don't think that it won't again.  Things seem to line up nicely when you are prepared for the event.  Great job!
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
kypdurran
on 9/22/08 1:45 am - Baton Rouge, LA

Awesome time!   Congrats!

Seht
on 9/22/08 6:20 am
Awesome, Congrats on your success.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

misstilly
on 9/22/08 7:13 am - Cosby, TN
Great job Cassie.

Sue

215/210/117/120
HW/SW/CW/GOAL  I'M AT MY GOAL

Most Active