8k run today

Chris Zane
on 9/21/08 3:03 am
I've been planning all summer to be ready and in shape for this 8k (`5 mi) race today.  Well, as often seems to happen, I really wasn't as prepared as I would have liked, but oh well.  I've been kind of sick the last week and haven't run at all, but I felt a little better today and went ahead and did it.

It was cool and misty out.  I had on a long sleeve tech shirt and within the first 30 seconds was wishing I had a short sleeved one on.  It was really humid.  The mile times I remember were:  1 mile - 11 1/2 mins, 3 miles 37 mins, 4 miles 50 1/2 mins, and I finished in 1:02.  I was hoping to beat 1 hour, but by mile 2, I was pretty sure I wasn't.

There were a couple of women that I kept rubberbanding with through the whole course and at the end, I just wanted to beat them - and I did.  Is that bad?  I do get a little competitive, even if it is just with the slow people.

My overall speed was 12:30 per mile - a bit slower than I would have liked, but ok since the course was longer than the 5ks I'm used to.
misstilly
on 9/21/08 4:04 am - Cosby, TN

Congrats on your finish and pluggin through even though you hadn't run all week.  I am hoping to do my 1st 8K next month I have a 5K the week before.  I am trying to build up to a 1/2 marathon. I understand about the rubber banding, I did that at my last race.  I think we are all competitive.

Sue

215/210/117/120
HW/SW/CW/GOAL  I'M AT MY GOAL

Linn D.
on 9/21/08 5:48 am - Missoula, MT

You can be proud of yourself that you did as well as you did!

My first tri was just after being sick for a week, and I didn't do nearly as well as I was capable.  I've also made the mistake of dressing too warm and wishing I could take something off.  Anymore I just wear my normal sports bra and compression tank.  I just get too hot.  I finally learned my lesson after a couple races like that.  I know I'll be chilly to begin with, but it won't last too long.

Good for you rising to the occasion and gutting it out at the finish!  I did that as well during my last tri.  It's kinda fun!

Every race day comes with a different set of cir****tances, and I think you did wonderfully!

Linn
Elisa K.
on 9/21/08 10:07 am - Lumberton, NJ
Congratulations Zoe!!  Haa - I did the same thing in my last race, except the object of my competitiveness was an old man  - I passed him, he passed me, - but I did beat him in the end - LOL!!
Scott William
on 9/21/08 10:14 pm
Way to go.  You have to factor in slower times the longer you go so great job.  5 milers are tough.  They are short enough that you want to run too fast but long enough to be a real pain in the ass.  Keep it up!
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Most Active