Making exercise a habit

kayjay68
on 9/18/08 9:00 pm - OH
Hey everybody,

I usually lurk here and post on the RNY board.  I've been working on exercising aerobically 5-6 days a week and have gotten to the point for the last two weeks where I've been consistant.  For those of you who have made exercise a part of your life, how long did it take you to feel like this was a habit that you wouldn't be giving up?  I've heard it takes anywhere from 21 days to 4 months, so I'm curious what actual people experience.  Thanks.

340/329/261/168                    Highest/Surgery/Current/Goal (maybe)
Scott William
on 9/18/08 9:40 pm
For me it was just the fact that I was following doctors orders for the first few months.  Don't get me wrong, though.  I had a great desire to get to the gym.  I made it a habbit after I signed up for my first marathon.  Once you do, you pretty much have to train.  Since then, I have always had something to train for which keeps me going.  I do feel guilty when I go 3 or 4 days without running.  I guess that it's a habbit.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
kayjay68
on 9/18/08 9:48 pm - OH
Hi Scott!

You sound like my dad.  He lost weight years ago with diet alone and now, since he's put some pounds on he lives in the gym.  If he misses racquetball, he feels like his whole day is messed up.  I want to feel like that.  Right now I'm indifferent to the exercise itself, I don't hate it or love it, I do it because I know I should, but I absolutely love the way I feel afterward and right now that's keeping me motivated.

340/329/261/168                    Highest/Surgery/Current/Goal (maybe)
Chris Zane
on 9/19/08 11:34 am
I'd say for me that it took more than 21 days.  I've heard that statistic before too, but it seems like it took longer for me.  Probably in the several months range.  Also, when starting out 5-6 days may be too much and lead to burn out - I know for me it did in the past.  Now I exercise most days, but early on it was really too much and since I wasn't enjoying it, it was more of a negative experience than a positive one.
Linn D.
on 9/20/08 1:33 am - Missoula, MT
Hi Kay Jay,

For me it was more like a decision I made.  I had surgery and didn't want to go back to where I was - ever.  The people you see who are truly healthy eat well and exercise.  That's all there is to it!  I also have a bit of a competitive spirit, so I challenged myself (and continue to do so).

Exercise shouldn't be a chore, though, so my suggestion is to find things you like to do and stick with that for a while.  I started a walk to jog program because what I wanted to do was triathlons and I couldn't run.  Once I realized I could run, it started becoming fun.  I enjoyed the challenge of progressing and being able to see it as well.

Like I said, I happen to be a goal-oriented person.  I don't do hobbies or crafts because they become work and aren't fun for very long.  But I do exercise for a reason.  I get to see progress.

That's a little look into my psyche.

Linn
Mona
on 9/20/08 2:14 am
VSG on 02/16/07 with
I had to find exercise that I enjoyed before it wasn't a chore, if that makes sense.  Before I was doing it, but I didn't enjoy it and if I had to miss, OH WELL!  But now that I've found stuff I enjoy doing I feel off if I don't get it done and will try to find little ways to make up during the day, like doing push ups in my office, or taking a quick spin around the block on my lunch break.  
At or below goal since 5/08....without mal-absorption!
MaryS
on 9/20/08 7:18 am - Long Island, NY
 I was exercising on a regular basis prior to my surgery, so I think it was already a habit.  Sounds like you are off to a great start with making exercise a habit.  It does get to the point that you really do miss it when you can't exercise - hard to imagine but it does happen!

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Most Active