Newbie post-RNY surgery exercise question

bdbake01
on 9/17/08 2:04 am - KY
I'm sure this has been covered before, in length, but is there a FAQ for exercise after WLS?

Some of the specific questions I have are regarding weight training.  I would LOVE to keep my current muscle tone during my weight loss.  I'm well aware that it probably won't happen...but I'd like to try :)  At my best I could bench over 300, I'm probably at 250ish now.  I'm happy with my lower body and even abs to a certain extent (we'll know when I find them again).  But, my first area to focus on would be my upper body.

But, with the limited intake of nutrients, protein, etc., how does this affect muscle building?  Is it even possible to "bulk up" any during the weight loss period?  What can I expect here?  If I curl 100lbs for a year, will I still drop size?
Brian W.
on 9/17/08 7:56 am - Belmont, CA

You might find this page useful: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/fitness/cmsID,1805/mode,co ntent/

It has links to some other resources

My doc kept me off weights for about 8 weeks, so consult your surgeon as to when its ok to really start lifting

During the early stages of WLS, it will be hard to get in enough calories and protein to "bulk up" but resistance trainging can help in preventing massive muscle loss, some loss is probably unavoidable.

Good luck

Brian
~350

Linn D.
on 9/17/08 10:33 am - Missoula, MT
I'm assuming you're male, so...

I might be a good idea to post some of these questions on the Men's forum.  Most of us here aren't THAT heavy into weight training, and I haven't heard from Earl C in a while (who seems to be our main weight training resource).

Linn
bdbake01
on 9/17/08 10:04 pm - KY
Can do!  I figured I would start in the exercise forum since it seemed to be the closest to the topic.  I'll see if the "guys" can help out ;)  Thanks!

I am male btw :)
kilmarlic
on 9/18/08 4:02 am - powells point, NC
I saw one of my doctor's associates this past week and his philosophy is there is a push up for every one. Wall Push ups for starters down to the floor for the "Marine" Style. He said these were the perfect upper body work out.

- Iris

Blessed are the flexible for they shall not be bent out of shape.

Highest      Surgery    Lowest      Current                                                                 

314.5          294          208        258.4

coachkelly
on 9/19/08 2:07 am
I am an exercise physiologist is a surgical practice. I typically let people begin with light weight training 1 month post op with the instruction to use a weight in each exercise that they can lift at least 10-15 times with little straining for 1 set. I have them progress to 3 sets of 10-15 over the next 4 weeks as tolerated. After that, depending on how their energy is and if they are not having any other issues, they can progress as tolerated by adding more weight or reps. I agree with Brian, it is difficult in the first several months to get in enough overall calories and protein to "bulk up", but you can certainly reduce the amount of muscle that you lose. Remember, there is a certain amount of muscle on your body to carry around your excess weight. As you lose the excess, the muscle to carry that excess is no longer needed. You only keep the muscle that is related to activities of daily living and exercise (especially weight training). You have the rest of your life to get physically fit and healthy. Progress on an individual basis as tolerated and be healthy.
Most Active