Rock-n'Roll Marathons?

Deanna34
on 9/15/08 8:23 am - Salem, OR
I know some of you out there have run the Rock-N-Roll marathons ... are they really as fun as they seem?  I heard they are adding one out west next year in Seattle so I am really, really wanting to sign up for it.  My friend wants to do the half but I seriously want to attempt the full.  I haven't run a full marathon YET but this one is in June so that gives me plenty of time to train for it.  Lynn, I know you've done these before ... would they be a good one as a starter full marathon for me?

--Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

Linn D.
on 9/15/08 10:39 am - Missoula, MT

Deanna,

I seriously considered doing that one, but it's too close to the half Iron I want to do in Boise.

One of the really nice things about the Rock and Rolls is they are generally very well attended, very well run, and it IS cool to have bands and cheer squads along the way.  There are photo ops and lots of good photographers.  It's obvious where they are so you can smile big for the cameras.  I've always gotten good pics from these.  There is also a lot of public support for these big races.  You never feel alone. 

The one in Phoenix was my first full marathon, and I would say that it would most definitely be a good one to start with.  There are lots of aid stations and lots of potties.  The route is well planned, and it should be easy to drive the route so you have a good feel for where you are on race day.

You can totally do this, and one of the Rock and Roll series would be a great one to be your first.

Linn

Deanna34
on 9/15/08 10:42 am - Salem, OR
Thanks Linn!  I'm really excited about it, and scared too!  I thought doing a half was hard enough, I can't imagine a full one ... but I really want to do it!  Maybe I'll just sign up for it and force myself to train for it!  Haha!  --Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

Linn D.
on 9/15/08 10:47 am - Missoula, MT
That's what I did! 
Rob S.
on 9/15/08 10:32 pm - DE
These Rock-N-Roll marathons are great.  I have only done the half so far, but it was so much fun.  Music blaring every mile or so, cheer squads pack the side streets, so everytime you feel like stopping there are people there to push you along.  I plan on doing some more.
Rob
puddin2day
on 9/16/08 2:10 am - Los Angeles, CA
Go ahead and do it Deanna.  I am seriously thinking about doing the full marathon in San Diego next year.
Without struggle, there is no progress.

Most Active