All day competition- crashing, food, and what to do?

Kate U.
on 9/11/08 9:20 am - Ft. Lauderdale, FL
I have an all day roller derby tournament coming up and I'm nervous about crashing. We may play for 2 hours... maybe 6 hours (with various breaks in between) depending on how well we do, as it's double elimination.

Right now I'm used to playing one game for 2 hours straight. I play in 75% of the game, only coming out once in a while for a 2 minute rest here and there.

My current game routine is: 2 hours before the game I'll drink a protein shake. 30 minutes before the game I'll eat some something carby- whole grains, sandwich, whatever. Then and at intermissions I will eat a granola bar or apple, and sometimes I take a few glucose tabs when I'm on the bench. Sometimes I'll also sip on some watered down gatorade. I really have to pay close attention to my body and react appropriately throughout the entire game or else I crash.

I feel like the above solutions are fine for sustaining me for one game, but for an all day event, I'm not sure that will take me through.

I figured maybe some of the triahtletes or atheletes that compete in activities above 2 hours would have some ideas on what I should eat/drink/do to carry me through the entire day and still be at my best?

Any help is appreciated :)
Linn D.
on 9/13/08 1:04 am - Missoula, MT
I wish I could help you more, but it sounds to me like you're going to need to eat as soon as one game gets over and try to eat again before the next game starts and make sure you have lots of good carb snacks along the way.  I'm glad you found something that works for your games (I remember you were having some dizziness problems), and it seems to me that you'll need to keep that going for an all-day event - making sure you can really eat between games as well.  If you're going to use protein shakes as meals, try to add some more carb calories to them if you can.  As far as the intermission snack goes, try to have one that will give you more calories.  An apple won't be enough by the second or third game.  It's good that you have the glucose tabs.  Keep them handy.

Linn
Kate U.
on 9/15/08 2:49 am - Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Ok great. Will do. I'll do the best I can to keep eating! lol Ahhh the irony that I now have to force myself to eat. ;)

Thanks for the advice :)
Most Active