how to burn fat?

justsomegirlrachel
on 9/11/08 5:08 am - MA
is it true that you burn more body fat is 1) you build muscle and 2) you do low impact (like not raising the heart rate about 120/130) aerobic exercise for long periods of time?
Linn D.
on 9/11/08 9:28 am, edited 9/11/08 9:29 am - Missoula, MT
Rachel,

The thing about muscle is that the more lean muscle you have, the higher the metabolism tends to be so you actually raise your BMR some.  I'm already muscular, so I'm not interested in building, but I do some strength training to maintain.

The thing they don't tell you about lower heart rate and exercise is that first of all, you may burn a higher percentage of fat to carb, but this difference is so low, it really doesn't matter.  The truth is that you will improve your cardiovascular system AND burn more total calories if you exercise at a higher intensity.  Burning more calories translates into burning more fat assuming you're burning more than you're consuming.

The only  reason I've ever heard of to do lower heart rate exercise is to encourage people who don't exercise regularly to start and stay with it for a while until it becomes habit.  Once exercising becomes part of a person's lifestyle, fitness is really only improved by exercising at a higher intensity.

Hope this answers your questions.

Linn

Most Active