AFTER Roux en Y

janice2007
on 9/8/08 12:11 am - clarksville, TN
Can your insides become torn after they heal?
I want to be able to do strenous things , like I did when I was at a better weight-- such as whitewater rafting,
..but I am afraid of causing damage to the intestinal
sites that were stapled and sewn together.

Has anyone had any problems with this? Or can comment on how RNY has affected you by NOT allowing you to participate in certain things?

THanks!

andrea K.
on 9/8/08 3:57 am - near Huntsville, AL
Your dr will set a time range for things to heal. After that you should be able to do anything that you did b4 surgery. My dr told me to wait 6 weeks b4 I did any strenuous exercise. i went back to the gym and have been lifting weights and such ever since and havent had a problem. you'll know if your doing too much.

292/279/183/155  highest/surgery/current/goal

umber
on 9/8/08 10:58 am - Rochester, NH
After you are fully healed there is absolutely no reason to not do ANYTHING because of your RNY.  The scar tissue takes six months to fully develop, so even when your outsides are fully healed, your insides are still forming scar tissue.  But after the first six months, you can do full contact sports and anything else that "normal" people do with no deteriment.  Your staple sites will NOT give due to whitewater rafting, boxing, contact martial arts, surfing, etc. 

Hope that helps!
--umber.

Lord, give me stregth and when I lack it, patience.  

Most Active