exercise plan?

Jennifer B.
on 9/7/08 10:05 pm - Townley, AL
Hi all! I'm a newbie here with a question. I'm  newly posst-op and my surgeon said nothing but walking till Thursday. My question is, what are some beginers workouts I can start doing Thursday?

A lil about me...

I'm 30 and weigh right now over 400 lbs. I'm limited to how long I can last without my legs and back killing me. But I want to work my way up to running like you guys within the next 2 years at the least. My town doesnt have a local pool or a gym so it would be hard to go to classes. I'll be doing it all at home. I do have a tredmill and a stationary bike here at home and some lil 1.5 pound hand weights.

Can you give me some ideas of how you started out?

I'm greatful for any and all help. Thanks!

Jennifer
beforeandafter6-9-09.jpg image by jennismurf205
Surgery date: Aug. 28, 2008.  Start weight 489 -  Current weight on March 29th 2009 368 - Goal weight 180 
Have lost 145 pounds so far.
puddin2day
on 9/8/08 2:33 am - Los Angeles, CA
Hi Jennifer,

I used Leslie Sansome's Walk Away the Pounds dvd.  She has several out, but the one I especially liked was the one where she had 3 different workouts (1 mile, 2 miles and 3 miles) on one dvd.  The 1 mile is 17 mins long, 2 miles is 30 mins and the 3 miles is about 45 mins long.  What I like abou****P, is that it doesn't take up much room.  You are mostly standing in one place.  If you can march in place, knee lifts, side steps and kicks (no matter how high), you can do WATP.  I would start with the 1 mile. Do the 1 mile until you get bored or it becomes ridiculously easy for you.  If for some reason, you cannot do a certain movement, just march in place.  As you get fit , you will be able to do more (i.e. lift your legs higher, use dumbbells, move faster). 

Good luck,
Kim
Without struggle, there is no progress.

DANCBJAMMIN
on 9/8/08 9:42 am - Fort Worth, TX
Hey Jennifer,

8 Months ago I was 400 pounds.... today, 233. After surgery I could barley walk for 10 minutes. Now, I am competing in my first triathlon next week.....Am running 30 miles p/ week, cycling 125-150 miles p/ week, swimming 3 miles per week. The way I got to this was by improving upon my speed and distance every day. Whether you are walking in a pasture, or on a treadmill, or on the road, the key is to JUST DO IT! Set a goal for yourself every day. Not a goal for perfection, but for improvement, every day improve. Be patient with yourself, and don't buy in to the hype of having to buy or follow the latest gimic in fitness videos / routines etc.... Just try to get moving every day, then tommorrow do a little more. You are going to do great, stay focused and driven, don't let anything stand in your way of improving yourself, not even the fact that there is no gym near you. Some of the most beautiful sunrises I have seen have been out on the road in the middle of the sticks where only me and the man upstairs knows how hard I am working and how far I have come. Best of luck!!

-Dan
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Ansampson
on 9/8/08 11:51 am
I today was over 400 pounds when I began this journey. In fat I was 468.8 and 454 the day of my surgery. I began my exercise by walking to my mailbox two times a day. After a week I began walking a block. Then it got too hot outside so I bought an exercise bike. I rode for a mile a day after I got use to doing more than two mintues at a time. By the early part of summer I was riding two miles a day. I tried the walking tapes but I didn't like them. Yvonne McCarty once told me it didn't matter what I did as long as I moved something. I remember a time where I would kick my legs out during commericals or raise my arms up an down. Find what works best for you and don't be afraid to change it up if you become bored. Good luck
arkman54
on 9/10/08 12:15 pm - Fort Smith, AR
Gez, Kim, Dan, and Angie -- what an inspiration you all are!  I am having RNY on Monday, 15th, and can hardly walk around now.  It is difficult to even step up on a curb.  Stairs are basically impossible.  It is nice to hear that you started so simply and worked up from there.  It gives me such hope.  Ya'll are great.  Michael
MaryS
on 9/10/08 10:57 pm - Long Island, NY
Jennifer,

You got some great suggestions.  I don't really have anything to add.  I did want to say "ROLL TIDE".  My husband is from Alabama and he is a life long Crimson Tide fan and of course I am now also!

Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Most Active