I've been working out with a trainer and my thighs are killing me, help!

Shelley L.
on 9/3/08 8:02 pm - overland park, KS
I had my 5th session Tuesday, and this isn't my first time working out with a trainer, I'm not completely new to exercise, but I had been out of the routine for a while, things have been going pretty well. He's been cognisant of my back pain and knee pain, but also is willing to help motivate and push me.  I have fairly good endurance, (for a 320lb person) and have been working on my cardio as well, but this last Tuesday we did a LOT of leg work, stepping up the resistance and intensity and I've been a little sore a few days but have recovered pretty good, but it's 48 hours later and I still can't walk and even at rest my quads are KILLING me.  I've been rubbing them and taking motrin and putting icey/hot and even soaked in the hot-tub tonight, also been doing tons of stretching and laid off the cardio because I couldnt' bare even just walking.

I definitely was feeling it during the work out, but how do I know when I'm over doing it, and when I do, how do I heal faster???

I realize SOME soreness is ok, but this much pain 48 hours later is NOT normal.

I feel like someone beat my legs with sticks!

JeremyGentles
on 9/4/08 3:10 am - Johnson City, TN
Hello,
DOMS or Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness can be at its worse 24-48 hours after exercise. So, the fact that you are feeling sore 48 hours after exercise is not uncommon.

With that said, if you are so sore that you can't walk, you may want to drop your intensity and/or volume of exercise down a notch. You mentioned you were in your 5th session and when you are first starting or getting back into the swing of things you are certainly going to feel sore. This is normal, but there is no need to be as sore as you are talkiing about here. 

In regards to healing faster, of course eating properly will help in the recovery process but also try to stay active and "loose." Ultimately, you will just need to gIve it a couple of more days and the soreness will subside.

A lot of people think they need to be sore after a training session to get results. This is absolutely ridiculous and is not only unecessary but can lead to injury if done over and over again. When you are first getting started, yeah you are going to be a little sore but being sore is not required for success or improvement.

I would suggest that your trainer drop the intensity a bit so you can get around comfortably after your sessions.

Jeremy Gentles, MA, CSCS
ObesityHelp Exercise Physiologist

jengadog
on 9/6/08 8:18 am
sounds like your trainer has been pusihng you too hard.....you sould not be that sore...you need to rest your body inbetween sessions.....
Shelley L.
on 9/6/08 11:24 am - overland park, KS
I did rest, after all that, only did some pilates 2 days later, which felt really good, lots of stretching, nothing strenuous at all, then did some moderate cardio on the treadmill on Friday, I'm still mildly sore and it's Saturday, 4.5 days later, but it felt good to walk. 

I think maybe I didn't stretch my quads enough, I really try to focus on stretching my hamstrings and calves and glutes because those tend to get the most tight on me, and are the easiest to stretch, but I'll try to make sure I do my quads too, thanks everyone

Most Active