Disney 1/2 marathon 2008!!

Kevin A.
on 9/1/08 3:35 pm - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
I've been looking forward to the race since last year. The was the race set in motion all 10K's, 1/2 marathons and marathons I ran last year. So I been looking forward to running this race again and improving on my time. I was ready!! I had been training hard all summer. I could not wait to smash the time of 3:20 I ran last year!!! The week of the race I get a call from Helen who sign up and trained all summer to run but was not going to run and wanted to know if I knew someone that wanted to buy her entry. Family, work and the fact she did'nt think she would make the cut off time. So with some more calls and texts I finally told her I'll run with you and push you to the finish. She finally agreed to run but if she was slowing me down I agreed to leave her.

Race morning is warm not as hot as it was last year but warm enough I knew it was going to be a humid day. The first 3 miles are running from downtown Disney into California Adventure. There was so many people that it was very dangerous running. I felt like we were running in a herd of wild animals. Runners swiping through the traffic and the space was so tight that I was more worried about falling than my time. At one point we had to stop running and wait to get through the 2 gates for thousands of runner to get into for Disneyland!! The run through Disney was just as packed!! Some runners stopping to take picture with the characters. Because of all the traffic we were way behind the running pace for the cut off time. I knew we would have to pick it up pace to make sure we finished. Miles 3-5 we were outside the park with more room to run on the streets. But as I started picking up my pace to get us back on time my Helen was slowing down. She was falling way back to the point I would have to turn around to look for her when it was time to run or walk. At that point she told me to go on she would finish the rest!! At that point I got a chance to run with Monica another OHer running her first 1/2 marathon for a little while. I text my girlfriend to see where she was and I get a text back "I can't keep this up.. I'm am toast" I tell her to hold on I going to try and catch up!! So I pick up my pace but not too fast because I know I would need to save something for the finish. Miles 6-11 I keep getting text on where she was but it seem like I was not catching up. Unknown to me she was running just as fast or faster than I was. So at about mile 11 she calls and is almost at the finish. So now I know she was fine I could relax and take a long needed bathroom break I been holding in for 5 miles!! The last 2 miles I relaxed and enjoyed the crowds of people cheering me to the finish.

I finished the race 3:26 well over my time from last year but I happy I had a hand in helping other OH'ers finish the Disney 1/2 marathon. I think this might be my last year doing Disney 1/2 marathon because the course is very dangerous first few miles and more important it was the same medal from last year!!!

Thanks for reading!!!

"You have to be uncompromised in your level of commitment to whatever you are doing, or it can disappear as fast as it appeared." ~Michael Jordan~
Scott William
on 9/2/08 12:47 am
Way to go Kevin.  Don't worry about not improving the time.  Time is irrelevant at Disney races.  Like you said, they are too packed to worry about it.  The D. World races are the same.  I can't even find a minute to take my walk breaks in the first few miles because everyone gets caught up in the wave. 

Congrats on another 1/2 finish!
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Kevin A.
on 9/2/08 2:05 pm - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
Yea I don't know what I was thinking!! But when I told my co-worker about running 1/2 marathon she asked "did you come in first??" Thanks!!! I'm looking forward to the next race!!
 "You have to be uncompromised in your level of commitment to whatever you are doing, or it can disappear as fast as it appeared." ~Michael Jordan~
puddin2day
on 9/2/08 6:06 am - Los Angeles, CA
Great report Kevin!   I am so proud of you.  Had I have known Helen wanted to sell her entry beforehand, I would bought it and ran it with you.  I will be doing this one next year.

Kim
Without struggle, there is no progress.

Kevin A.
on 9/2/08 2:08 pm - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
Thanks Kimmie!!! Yea this is the race you must do next year!!!
Cassie W.
on 9/2/08 8:34 am
Kevin,  you're a hero for helping others reach the finish.  These large venues are definitely about the experience, not a PR.  I'm looking forward to the local half marathon that I have coming up this month.  It's small - about 120 runners - on a route that I've run many times.  The crowd support includes an occasional dairy cow that often runs alongside the fence as we pass. 

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Kevin A.
on 9/2/08 2:10 pm - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
I always hated crowds but runnning with crowds for sweaty men and women is worse!! Good luck on your race!!!
Brian W.
on 9/2/08 8:40 am - Belmont, CA
Congrats man.  Looking forward to SJ one, should be a fun one!

Brian
~350
Kevin A.
on 9/2/08 2:14 pm - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
Yea maybe SJ I can get my personal best!!

Oh I had a chance to go in one of those 300 bowling alley down here man you need to wear a suit to bowl in that place its so fancy!!! At almost $10 a game I'll never get a chance to bowl there!!
Linn D.
on 9/2/08 1:54 pm - Missoula, MT
Nice job on another great race!  Like you said, the big ones can be tough to get your own plan worked out, but it was great that you were able to help a fellow runner finish their race!

Every race day is a different experience, and it seemed like there was plenty you enjoyed about this one even though it was the same finisher's medal.  Sounds like you did at least make it through injury-free and ready for the next adventure.  Take care of yourself and recover well.

Once again, Many Congrats to you!  You did a great job, Kevin.

Linn
Most Active