10k on the Bay Race Report

Brian W.
on 9/1/08 7:41 am - Belmont, CA
Hi all

Hope everyone is having a great Labor Day weekend.

Ran my 2nd 10k race on Saturday, the 5th annual 10k on the Bay, held at the Hayward Shoreline.  Course was right on the water and pretty scenic.  Weather was great, about 65 degrees and partly sunny

Race was supposed to start about 8:30 am, but there was a 5k run/walk also going on, so they started the 5k first, then the 10k runners started 10 min later.  This is a fairly small event, only about 250 runners/walkers total, so avoiding people was easy and 5k run/walkers actually had a different course after about a mile. 

The course was mostly dirt/gravel and fairly flat, which was good.  I decided not to push my pace that much at the beginning and that seemed to be a good strategy, then I picked it up about Mile 4.  Somewhere around mile 5, I started to get a minor cramp in my left quad, so i slowed a bit and I could feel myself getting a tad fatigued.  But I pressed on.

I crossed the finish line with a time of about 1:03.  Which is 3 minutes better than my first 10k total and I ran a much cleaner race in terms of pace.  I was hoping I could do it in under an hour, but just not there quite yet.

Next up in San Jose Rock and Roll Marathon on October 5th.  I'll be conducting several long 10+ mile runs over the next month to prepare as I'm hoping to finish in 2:30.

Brian
~350
Elisa K.
on 9/1/08 8:39 am - Lumberton, NJ
That's awesome Brian!!  Congratulations on a great race!! 
JennyA
on 9/1/08 10:34 am - Eagan, MN
Congrats Brian.  Good luck with the marathon.

Take care.

J
on 9/1/08 12:33 pm - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
Great job Brian!! I just signed up for the San Jose Rock and Roll 1/2 marathon at the Disney Expo. Already got my flight and room!! Now I just have to wait and run!!
 "You have to be uncompromised in your level of commitment to whatever you are doing, or it can disappear as fast as it appeared." ~Michael Jordan~
Brian W.
on 9/1/08 2:37 pm - Belmont, CA
Oh nice! Let me know when you will be in town and we can hook up for a pre-race dinner or something!

And guess what else, shot my first 300 game as well!  it was just in practice, but a 300 is a 300 :)

Brian
~350
Kevin A.
on 9/1/08 3:13 pm - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
Funny I shot a 300 Friday!!! But mine was in a no-tap tournament!!!

Maybe I should bring my bowling balls with me to San Jose???

Cool!!! I'll be in SJ Oct 2-6!! Let do dinner or sometthing!!
 "You have to be uncompromised in your level of commitment to whatever you are doing, or it can disappear as fast as it appeared." ~Michael Jordan~
Linn D.
on 9/1/08 2:15 pm - Missoula, MT
Hey Brian,

Nice job!  Each one does get better, and each experience teaches us something.  Glad you're enjoying the races!  The 10k is actually my favorite distance to race.

Linn
Seht
on 9/2/08 1:37 am
Congrats on your success!

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Cassie W.
on 9/2/08 8:38 am
Congratulations on improving your time.  It sounds like you are well on your way towards finishing the half within your goal time.

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Most Active