exercise -vs- calorie intake

zookeeper711
on 8/29/08 11:45 am - Philadelphia, PA
I just can't seem to find the answer, so maybe the folks here can help.  I'm 3 1/2 months out from RNY.  I was just cleared to exercise (but no core work) due to a nasty, large abcess post-op.  I have lost 68 lbs so far.

Now the question...I am logging my foods on thedailyplate.com as well as my exercise.  At this point I'm doing 2 hours of water aerobics 3 times a week.  On those days I'm burning more calories through exercise than I'm consuming.  Is this OK?  I had a call into the nutritionist and I'm waiting... and waiting... and waiting for an answer.  Opinions?  Thanks.  -Zook-

viewimage.aspx.jpg

kmcrispi
on 8/30/08 1:48 am - Columbus, OH
Well, I'm not a professional, but it seems like the difference between the calories consumed and the calories burned should be a minimum to support your body's basic funcions.  Isn't that why they talke about the body going into starvation mode and hanging on to every calorie consumed? 

Anyway, good luck.  It sounds like you're on a great path with the fitness!
zookeeper711
on 8/30/08 12:46 pm - Philadelphia, PA
Hmmm.  It's that "starvation mode" thing that I need to know about.  So I'll keep on questioning.  Thanks for the moral support!  :)  -Zook-

viewimage.aspx.jpg

misstilly
on 8/30/08 9:06 am - Cosby, TN
I had the same question.  I called my nut several times then finially I set up a visit with her. At first they keep telling me not ot worry about what calories eaten and calories burned, but I got worried my labs were OK but I was burning just about the same calories as I would eat a day. So when I went for my visit she did a BMR and looked at my journal and all the exercise that I do and came up with I should be eating about 1600 calories a day which is alot different from 900-1000 a day.  I feel good but I am a little on the tired side every once in while.  Keep on your nut till you get a answer.  It seems like they don;t always want to talk to you.

Sue

215/210/117/120
HW/SW/CW/GOAL  I'M AT MY GOAL

zookeeper711
on 8/30/08 12:43 pm - Philadelphia, PA
Thank you, Sue...my concern exactly.  I'll need to be persistent until I get an answer.  Thanks for validating my thoughts.

-Zook-

viewimage.aspx.jpg

Most Active