I want to run

BigMama2
on 8/29/08 11:37 am - MI
I have always wanted to try to run.  Is it possible for someone that is still about 75 pounds overweight to run?  I've been doing aerobics 3 or 4 days a week for an hour at a time and I walk most days.

If it is possible, what do I need to do to get started?

Thank you for any advice!
Elisa K.
on 8/30/08 12:55 am - Lumberton, NJ
Hi:
I think that's awesome that you want start running!  I justed started running this past spring, and I have to say that I love it!!

The first thing you should do is find a local specialty running store, and get fitted for a pair of running shoes.  Bring your current sneakers with you.  The staff will examine the wear on your old sneakers, measure your fee****ch you walk, and determine the proper shoe for you.  Seriously - it is well worth the time, and expense to have a good pair of shoes!  You are better off going to a specialty running store, as opposed to a sporting goods store, because the staff is trained to help pick out the best shoe for your needs. 

I actually went to Barnes and Noble and bought a book about running.  It had workouts for the absolute beginner.  Basically, I just started out running a little, and walking when I needed to.  My first goal was to run for 20 minutes, and as I became more fit, I added to my time/distance.

Good luck!!  I really hope that you find running as enjoyable as I do!!

Linn D.
on 8/30/08 1:56 am - Missoula, MT
I think I was around 200# when I first started running.  I did a walk to jog plan and went at it slowly.  I always made sure my workouts were at least 30 minutes, though.

Don't kid yourself.  Running probably won't feel good at first.  It WILL be hard even though you've been doing aerobice, and that's okay.  It totally gets easier as time goes by and your fitness improves.  And.. it's really cool to see how much further you can run this month than last.

Elisa's advice was right on the money about shoes.  Any of us runners on this board would tell you the same thing.  You can run on the treadmills at the gym or outside, whichever you prefer. 

One thing you might want to watch out for is the runner's trots.  It's pretty common especially among us who've had any type of intestinal bypass surgery.  In fact, that's one of the reasons I do all my training at the gym (I know exactly where the potty room is).

Another thing you might do is find a 5k event about 3 months away and work toward it.  There are many plans that train you from beginning to your first 5k in about 12 weeks.  IT IS SO COOL TO FINISH YOUR FIRST RACE!  Then you can post your race report for us.  We all love to read them.

You can totally do this, and I wish you the best!

Linn
BigMama2
on 8/30/08 8:43 am - MI
Thank you both for the great advice.  I'm so excited.  I can't wait to get started.  I know it will be hard but I think it will be worth it.

I can't wait to be ready for my first 5k.
MaryS
on 8/30/08 8:45 am - Long Island, NY
You already got some great advice!  I started running around 220 - I just took it slow, lots of walking breaks.  One  book I highly recommend is "No Need For Speed" by John Bingham.  The book is very inspirational!

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

BigMama2
on 8/30/08 9:42 am - MI
I'm 245 and concerned that I still may weigh too much.  But I'll just take it slow.  I'll have to check out that book.  Thank you.
MyQnA
on 8/31/08 1:57 am
I think you will be fine if you take it slow.  The best thing you can do for yourself is invest in a good pair of sneakers.  I started running last November and I was 262 lbs and I am still "overweight".  But, it doesn't stop me from running because it the running feels great!

Best of luck to you,
Maxine

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. 

BigMama2
on 8/31/08 6:18 am - MI
Thank you!  I plan on taking it real slow.  I found a running class at a local running store and one of the things they cover is running shoes.  I can't wait to get started!
delphy42
on 9/12/08 11:31 pm
You must have been reading my mind. I am pre-op with no date. I am not good at pushing myself but I would like to be able to run a race when I am 67 in March. Is it good to go to a gym or to have a trainer to motivate and guide you?
BigMama2
on 9/13/08 7:57 am - MI
I signed up for a running 101 class at a local running store.  They will cover things like shoes, training, nutrition, injury prevention, etc.  Every age group and skill level (I was dead last with our pre-class run) is in the class.  If you are not good at pushing yourself (I'm not), I would get a trainer, class or maybe even an exercise buddy.

Good luck!
Most Active