Muscle tone after massive weight loss?

Helenbaabe
on 8/29/08 2:14 pm - Altoona, PA
I am concerned that after having one of the surgeries, losing a large amount of weight that my skin will droop. In other words no muscle tone. You cannot exercise right away, so how is this prevented?
kypdurran
on 8/29/08 6:05 pm - Baton Rouge, LA
Age and genetics play a large part in the skin snapping back after massive weight loss, however, ultimately there's nothing that you can do about it.   Don't buy into the expensive skin creams because they don't work.   Exercise will help but in most cases the skin just can't keep up with the weight loss and I'd say that's the reason that many resort to plastics.  I have been very fortunate because after 260 pounds lost I only have a bit of loose skin around my belly.  Everywhere else has snapped back into place nicely. 
Linn D.
on 8/30/08 5:24 am - Missoula, MT
The other thing to remember is that muscle tone and skin tone aren't the same.  I am quite toned and muscular, but still need some ps.  I was pretty top-heavy and I also don't like the skin that is loose around the belly.  That being said, I'm over 4.5 years out, was 38 when I had surgery, still haven't had any ps, and the loose skin doesn't stop me from doing any of my activities.  Hubby doesn't seem to mind too much, either.

It'll be important to start walking right away as there won't be any real restrictions on that, but it's my opinion that the folks who begin an exercise program sooner rather than later seem to have better luck with the skin.  Many of the folks who hang out on this board have had ps and it just seems that some do better with the skin than others.

Linn
Helenbaabe
on 8/31/08 10:18 am - Altoona, PA
Thank you both for your replies//this is one of the things that may holds me back. I have not even decided which type of surgery yet.
It seems like something similiar to having a child. Many women buy all kinds of creams, thinking that they are going to get stretch marks. Those creams do not do a thing. I never put anything on myself, never had any marks...but had excess weight that I never was able to rid myself of.
totalfreedom
on 8/31/08 11:55 am - Northern CA
Hi,

Yes, be prepared to have some loose skin. Some have more then others. Age, genetics and how much weight you have to lose plays a big role in this. I do believe that starting an exercise regime right away helps and drinking lots of water is good as well.

I am 51 and lost 103 pds. I am pretty lucky with the skin issues. The extra skin does not get in the way of living, but unfortunately there is just enough that I don't like it. So I will do PS eventually. My husband is supportive either way, but it all comes down to what I want. I don't want this extra skin around ready to be filled up again!!

As far as muscle tone, that you can build, I believe, irregardless of the extra skin. I am very toned. Six months after surgery I started training and lost 16 inches in 3 months. My abs are tight and my legs and arms are very toned and muscular. I started with walking, built up to running on a tread mill, then started standard exercises, then hired a trainer.

You can do this! Good luck on your prospective surgery.

Kelli

Kelli
5' 1, 221pds to 120pds, BMI: 42.5 to 22.8, Size 22WP to 2P.  
Dr. Agha-Newport Beach, CA:  
12.29.08:TT/LBL/UTL/BL/Butt Aug!
 5.10.09: Face/Neck Lift,Implants,lipo, lower eyelids,fat transfer

Most Active