Sneakers!!!

Kirsty1314
on 8/28/08 1:12 pm - Bayville, NY
I need to get a new pair of sneakers cuz my old ones just aren't comfortable enough and they just aren't a good quality shoe for the amount of cardio I've started doing.....any suggestions on a good walking shoe that is good for the treadmill??  What brands are good? I have a wide width foot sooo I have to be able to get that in a shoe too......
Sherry_Berry
on 8/28/08 8:33 pm - Dacula, GA
You can walk in a running shoe, but you can't run in a walking shoe.

With that said, everyone reacts differently to shoes. I do well with Saucony, Asics and Pearl Izumi.

Google search running stores in your area. Please go to a specialty run shop to get fitted. They will do a gait analysis (free) to see your pronation. Then they will bring out a stack of appropriate shoes. If a shoe doesn't feel "just right" don't buy it.

No running shoe should feel like it needs to be "broke in"

A running store will let you try out your shoes for a week or 2 or more. They will let you return them, as long as you haven't abused them through puddles and rain and dirt.
Elisa K.
on 8/28/08 10:19 pm - Lumberton, NJ

Hi Kirsty:
I agree with Sherry - go to your local running store and get fitted for a pair of shoes.  I would always buy whatever sneakers I thought were "cute" or were on sale.  The problem was, they were never the right shoe for me - I would experience pinching, or sometimes my little toe would go numb. 

I started running this past spring - I sucked it up, went to a running store, and got a proper pair of shoes.  They weren't exactly cheap (I paid $90 for my New Balance shoes), but they are so worth the money!!  Everything else may be sore at the end of my workout, but my feet are just fine!!  Besides, shoes that don't fit properly can lead to injury.

Good luck!! 

Richbehr
on 8/29/08 12:04 am - North Haven, CT
RNY on 03/24/08 with
My podiatrist told me to get a pair of
New Balance 872's. They are a great sneaker and comfortable too.

"Death borders upon our birth, and our cradle stands in the grave. Our birth is nothing but our death begun."

Most Active