Questions I should have asked a long time ago:

Monica P.
on 8/28/08 9:15 am - Long Beach, CA
RNY on 07/19/07 with

This Sunday is my very first half marathon.  I'm excited, nervous, and about as ready as I'll ever be.

My questions are about fueling during the run and hydration.

I've trained with Gu and Gatorade, both agree with me and they work well. BUT...I don't know how much to carry and how often to take them.

I found gatorade in powder packets that I can mix with water and fill my 20 ounce bottle.  How often do I need to drink?  On my last long run I think I drank too much, I had to stop twice to pee.

I also have salt packets, just in case.

At what point during the run do I need to begin taking to Gu and how often afterwards??

THere will be Cliff shot blocks offered at the 9.2 mile mark but I don't really care for the texture....I'll eat them if I feel I need them!!

ANY help is much appreciated!!!

Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired in the morning, noon, and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired."

- George S. Patton, U.S. Army General, 1912 Olympian

MaryS
on 8/28/08 12:54 pm - Long Island, NY

Monica,

During half marathons I usually have a Gu probably around mile 7-8 and again at mile 11.  I think for me it is more of a psychological boost.  If  you use the Gu, I don't think you'll need the gatorade also.  If you are going to use the salt, you probably want to do that at the beginning of the race.

Best of luck to you!

Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

kypdurran
on 8/29/08 12:36 am - Baton Rouge, LA

Hi Monica.   If gel packs work for you then a pack at the 1 - 1.5 hour mark then every hour thereafter would keep you going.   I wouldn't do the Gatorade and Gu at the same time though. 

Best of luck with your race!

Chad
www.team464.com

Most Active