first 5K

jdubbs2
on 8/27/08 12:51 pm - easton, PA
I think I am ready to run my first 5K.  I have been running all summer and know I can do the distance.  Any advice would be great.  Also is it good to walk one first just so you know what it is all about.
Thanks
john
Elisa K.
on 8/27/08 11:46 pm - Lumberton, NJ
Hi John:
Good for you!!  I just ran my second one last Sunday - I am still amazed that I am running - lol!!

I would say if you can run the distance, there is no reason not to run the first one.  I ran both of my races.  You can position yourself at the start depending on how fast you are during your workouts.  I am pretty slow, so I tend to stay toward the back of the runners, but in front of the walkers (you can usually tell who is walking).  You are most likely faster than me, so I would go for the middle of the pack.  Just remember to run your own race - don't get too wrapped up in what everyone else is doing - you don't want to start too fast and poop out!

Enjoy yourself, and good luck!!
Dan_P.
on 8/28/08 12:10 am - Baltimore, MD
If you've been running and feel like you can do the distance, I say run as well. It's a mental block that you'll want to overcome. The energy that will come from running in an event like that will carry you a mile alone.

Good luck!
JennyA
on 8/28/08 12:17 am - Eagan, MN
If you are training by running and can do 5K in training, I can't see a reason why you would need to walk.  Run the event as much as you can and walk when you have to.  I did two this summer and walked a few minutes of each.  I am doing another in October and my goal is to run the whole thing.

You will become a 5K junkie - nobody can do just one!

Take care.

J
on 8/28/08 1:55 am - Los Angeles, CA
Hi John,

That is great news to hear.  Be sure to give us the post race comments.  You will do well and above all... have fun.

Kim
Without struggle, there is no progress.

Linn D.
on 8/28/08 7:41 am - Missoula, MT
John,

Go sign up for one!  No one here can tell you how to do it, but I guarantee you'll learn a lot at the first race.  It's great fun, and I'm sure you'll have a blast as well!

Linn
MaryS
on 8/28/08 11:55 am - Long Island, NY
John,

Definitely sign up for one - it is so much fun!  If you have been running the distance, you should run the race.  It is such a thrill crossing the finish line - I still get teary eyed when I cross the finish line of a race.

Best of luck,

Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

kypdurran
on 8/28/08 11:53 pm - Baton Rouge, LA

If you have run the distance then you'll have no problems running the race.  The adrenaline you experience at a race is uncomparable to a training run AND since it will be your first race it will be all the more intense.  

Chad
www.team464.com

Most Active