Benefits of Training with a Heart Rate Monitor??

Elisa K.
on 8/27/08 7:14 am - Lumberton, NJ
Does anyone train with a heart rate monitor?  Do you feel you get more out of your workout?  I want to take my training to the next level.  I've been running since the spring, but I am so slow - I really want to work on speed.  Will training with a heart rate monitor help with that??

Thanks!!
Linn D.
on 8/27/08 10:31 am - Missoula, MT
I think Chad and Sherry both use them, but I don't.

My speed workouts go something like this:

Regular pace 5-10 minutes
4 Repeats of 0.5 mph faster for 5 minutes (remember I use a tread); 2 minutes at regular speed.
Regular pace 5-10 minutes

I try to do them once a week, but haven't been lately since I've been focusing on other aspects of the tris.  I'm going to try getting back to it in the next week or two when marathon training starts up.

Linn
Elisa K.
on 8/27/08 10:02 pm - Lumberton, NJ
Thanks Linn!  I really do want to work on my speed, but was never exactly sure how to do that.  I am going to give that a try.
kypdurran
on 8/27/08 12:15 pm - Baton Rouge, LA

Hi Elisa.  In a nutshell what a heart rate monitor does is tells you what intensity you are at throughout your training.  And more importantly you'll know unequivically if you are slacking because your heart isn't beating fast enough!   Perceived exertion is measured in different heart rate zones.   Your body can't stay at the highest level of the zones for very long because when you hit that level it uses up your "quick energy stores" which in most cases will only last you around 30 seconds or less.  Sprinters would be an example of an athlete that would train in that zone consistantly.  (I.E. Mr. Bolt, from Jamaica, the fastest dude on the planet!)  That zone is called the anaerobic zone and unless you are running from an axe murderer or you are training for a 100m sprint race you don't really want to be in that zone.   You want to be in the aerobic zone which is 65ish - 60% of you maximum heart rate.   Training in this zone is the most efficient means to increase your cardivascular performance and your calorie / fat burning potential.   Training for a 5K, a 10K or any endurance event?  You want to be aerobic when you're training!

There are plenty of calculators online to determine your maximum heart rate by the way.   A quick and dirty formula would be subtract your age from 220.   For example, I'm 36 so my maximum heart rate would be around 184.   When I train I want my heart rate to be between 120ish and 150ish bpm.  

Now back to the heart rate monitor.   If I'm slacking my heart rate monitor sends my realtime results to my watch which in turn starts beeping at me to pick up the pace or cadence.   It will also beep if I go OVER into the anaerobic zone but that's rare...  OK, that's NEVER happened...  Yet!  :)

Hell I did learn something in my Personal Trainer Cert books.   :)   I'm taking the test early next year to get my certification and start training people. 

Best of luck!

Chad
www.team464.com

Elisa K.
on 8/27/08 10:06 pm - Lumberton, NJ

Good luck on your test Chad - that's awesome!!   

I think that is where the monitor will come in handy - I want to make sure I am running in that aerobic zone during my whole workout, and getting the most from my workout.  I think if I can "see" that I can push more, that will help.

Thanks!!

Sherry_Berry
on 8/27/08 6:47 pm - Dacula, GA
Sherry's advice:

If you're going to invest $ in a HR monitor go get a vo2max test and make your training worthwhile.

The 220-age formula is kinda crap. It's a generalization. My max HR is estimated to be about 215. that's WAY off the formula. If I went by the equation #s, I'd be SOL.

I use it on the bike...not on the swim or run. Run I go by perceived exertion now...I used to monitor the HR.
Elisa K.
on 8/27/08 10:08 pm - Lumberton, NJ
Thanks for the advice Sherry!!
kypdurran
on 8/29/08 12:24 am - Baton Rouge, LA

215, that's awesome!  You sure you weren't having a heart attack!  :)  That's the average max HR for a teenager.  Sheesh, what's your VO2MAX?

That formula (220 - age) is the accepted average to determine max HR, however, you are correct, it can vary greatly.  There are other formulas that take into account sex type that are a bit more accurate but they all still vary greatly.  There is only so much you can determine by the formulas because we all are individuals.  Heh, we can't all be Mr. Armstrong!  Of course an athlete would probably need to get an electrocardiogram or a cardiac stress test to determine accurately what their maxHR would be but those things are expensive.   I had an electrocardiogram done a few months ago after hearing about all the people dying from heart problems during the swims in triathlons.   I wanted to make sure everything was good to go.   That test cost me $1500!   The cardiac stress test where they inject the dye and view your heart with a CAT scan machine is even more!  For me, the 220 - age formula was only a few beats off but I'm not Lance and I'm sure my VO2max is probably low.  :)  I just work on building up my lactic acid threshold, which my tri coach checks every few months, since that's all I can reallly afford.  

Deanna34
on 8/28/08 1:46 am - Salem, OR
Hi Elisa!  I use a Polar heart rate monitor and I like it.  I actually found out my heart rate was too high when I was running so I slowed my pace down a bit and found I could run longer and easier than I was before.  It also helps me when I'm doing other activities because it will tell you to get your heart rate up so I know to step it up a bit.  --Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

Elisa K.
on 8/28/08 2:21 am - Lumberton, NJ
Thanks Deanna!  I really do think it will help me be more intune with my body.  I want to get the most out of my runs, so that I can improve. 
Most Active