My feet are KILLING ME when I EXERCISE

Shelley L.
on 8/27/08 1:21 am - overland park, KS
Is it just because I'm fat, or is something really wrong???

I've ALWAYS had trouble with my feet hurting, even when I was younger, I remember complaining about my feet. I have flat feet and very wide feet, of course they're even wider now, because of the weight.  I went to a specialty shoe store and had foot measured and told them I was exercising and wanted a good walking shoe and told them about the pain i was having and paid over $100 for a tennis shoe and double extra wide, they still make my feet cramp up, they're comfortable when I first put them on, but after any length of time of fast paced walking, I get cramps in my feet like you wouldn't believe.

I feel like if it weren't for my feet, I could walk FOREVER!

I probably should go see a podiatrist but I fear he's going to recommend some very exspensive shoe insert I can't afford!

I know all about plantar faciaitis, but I don't have that excruciating foot pain in the morning, only after exercising at a moderate pace for some time. 

Lately, I've been putting ice packs on my feet, it seems to be reducing the pain.
1texasmom
on 8/27/08 4:23 am
If they truly fit well and you're sure that you don't have plantars there is a chance that the muscles in your feet are simply getting a workout.  It sounds like you're just starting an exercise program and haven't been doing it long...don't blame you if you're hurting like that.  It's possible that you may continue to feel some discomfort with all of your muscles as you exercise more and get into shape.  I wonder if a non-impact activity would be better at first.  Have you tried water aerobics or water walking? 

Just to let you know.  I had this problem, too.  It was in my arches and even my toes.  But, it would stop as soon as I stopped walking or took off my shoes.  I did see a podiatrist as a precaution.  But in the end, my feet got better as I got in better shape.  Also, for some reason men's shoes worked best for me. 

RNY: 11/19/07

SW:260

LW: 140 (January 09)

CW: 180

GW: 155-160

Shelley L.
on 8/27/08 9:28 am - overland park, KS
yeah, sorta, I've recently started up again, I was exeercising pretty regularly a while back, and hand the same problem.  It's a terrible feeling!  My feet still hurt today, after waking up!

I work on my feet and have occasional foot pain at work, but as long as I get to sit down now and then at work, (which I usually do) I don't have too much trouble, but I just did 27 min on the treadmill today with a 5 min warmup, I try to do some good stretching after warming up too, some good calf and achillees heel stretches, but it doesn't seem to help.

The times for water aeorbics don't work out for me.

and I have a treadmill at home, so it's convenient for me.

anyway, thanks for your opinion!

Sherry_Berry
on 8/28/08 11:52 am - Dacula, GA
Heya!

Most likely the shoes they sold you are good. You may NOT need to see a podiatrist.

With all the years of weight bearing on your feet, you very might well have an injury. Untreated, it will certainly bother you.

Research your area for SPORTS CHIROPRACTORS! OMG...they are wonderful!

See if you have one near that specializes in Active Release Therapy (ART) and perhaps Graston. If you had to choose one of the other, go with the ART...if they did ART, then they very well may do graston too!

Basically-art is a specialized therapy. They dig into your injured muscle and simultaneosly stretch the area. The cramping muscles might be compensating for another muscle that's injured.

Graston takes these tools and scrape the hell out of the injured area. You will bruise. It feels like they are scraping gravel underneath your skin. Why? Scar tissue.

Yes...I've had both done on my feet...and other areas of the body. They will use graston if ART isn't totally taking care of your problem.

My insurance pays, but some don't.

For the years of pain you've had, it's worth a try-even if it's out of pocket.
Most Active