Never know until you try

Jce3g
on 8/26/08 12:59 pm - MI
I have been cycling on and off through the summer as my work travel would allow.  We I have a looming MS150 coming up and I have yet to ride with people, I always ride solo.   There is a local group that rides on Tuesday evening 20-25 miles.  I had been reluctant to ride with them not knowing if I could keep up.  Well 160 pounds gone and great running work outs on the treadmill led to a very simple ride.  I was surprised I easily keep up with the group ad at times speeding ahead just to get the heart rate up.  Now I am looking for rides that are a little more challenging.  You just do not know until you try.

Jason
Scott William
on 8/26/08 10:35 pm
Way to go man.  You are correct about trying.  One of the biggest things I see here is people holding themselves back mentally.  I even do it by comming up with excuses on why I can't do tri's or ultras when what I really want to do them.

Go for it!
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
MaryS
on 8/26/08 11:12 pm - Long Island, NY
Jason,

This is so true - the mind plays an huge role in how much we think we are capable of, it is not just the physical ability that can hold us back.!  Imagine you go from thinking that you can't keep up to being in a position where you need to fine rides that are more challenging - that is so wonderful!

Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Linn D.
on 8/27/08 10:21 am - Missoula, MT
I think a lot of us tend to underrate our abilities since we were so heavy at one time that we have a hard time seeing ourselves as athletes.

Way to go, Jason!  The athlete has arrived!
Most Active