need help with training program

labgab29
on 8/25/08 11:56 am - TX
 I am 2 years post lap band, have lost 145 pounds,, now staying at about 165.. I would like to try an do a half marathon.. I am biking 4-5 miles per day and SLOWLY jogging 1 mile per day and walking 1 mile.. the event is in Dec.. is it possible to build up enough with this time frame to do this??? I feel like I am so far away, not sure if I should plan out further to complete a half marathon... also, is there a program anyone recommends on how to train?? thanks lisa
Linn D.
on 8/25/08 2:07 pm - Missoula, MT
Lisa,

Most walk to jog or couch to 5k programs are about 12 weeks and prepare you for only a fourth of that distance.  Unless you're willing to do significant amounts of walking, it may be a little to soon to do a half.  If you can plan to be able to do 9-10 miles a couple weeks before the event you'll be fine.  Just remember that many of them have time limits for finishing. 

I did my first half about 8 months after I started running.  By the time I was able to do a 10k, I found a 12-week training plan online to prepare for my first half.  But, I also ran the whole distance with the exception of the potty stops along the way.

I'm certianly not saying you can't do it, but it will be a challenge given your current exercise regime.  It's been so long since I've actually trained for one that I don't have a plan off hand or I'd steer you to one.  Also, some races give you a free training plan when you sign up, so that may help also.

Linn
Most Active