How much protein?

pennisweet
on 8/25/08 6:46 am - Windsor, MO
How much protein can our bodies absorb at one time, I have heard different things?  Also, I have heard of Bullets (a protein drink).  What is it and is it good for you?  I appreciate it ahead of time.  Have a great day and God bless, Penni
kypdurran
on 8/25/08 7:10 am - Baton Rouge, LA

35 - 40g per serving is what I've heard from a couple of doctors in a single sitting.

There is somewhat of a controversy about the protein bullets. (New Whey is one of the brands I used in the past) The protein that they use is a collegen based protein which allegedly isn't as biologically available for use in our bodies as whey or soy protein.   I'd suggest doing more research on the topic.  I have the bullets mainly because of the cost.   They run somewhere around $3.00 per serving which got to be quite expensive for me since I need 220+ grams per day.   Compare $3.00 per serving to $.20 per serving and you see the money saved.  I have been using plain ole' GNC bannana cream 100% whey for the past 18 months with no problems.   I hated the taste of the bullets and I hate the taste of GNC 100% whey.  I choke down 40g 5 to 6 times a day and go on with my life.  :)

Chad

pennisweet
on 8/26/08 4:52 am - Windsor, MO
Thanks for you response Chad.  I probably will just stick to the plain ol GNC also.  I really like the GNC 100% whey in the chocolate carmal and the unflavored.  In the morning I mix it with coffee.  The unflavored will acually mix well with the coffee being hot.  I am not sure about how the choc. carmal mixes so I usually put an ice cube in with it and after it is mixed I will put it in the micro for about 20 seconds.  I really like coffee so I really don't have a problem with the flavor at all.  Why do you have to get so much protein are you working out alot?  I need to work out on a more regular bases.  Last week I started a tap class with my daughter and a conditioning class after that so if I could work like that every night it would be great!  Our instructor worked us hard.  It was so fun though I barely notices how tired I was until the next day when I couldn't move my legs.  I do like feeling that way though because it shows that I worked hard.  Well, thanks again for the protein advice.  Have a great day and God bless, Penni
Most Active