5K Beach Challenge for Autism Report

Elisa K.
on 8/24/08 7:34 am - Lumberton, NJ

I decided to run this race today, even though I an just getting over bronchitis, and hadn't trained in over a month.  In fact, I just started running again this week.  I ran 3.75 miles yesterday, so decided I could do it.

The race was in Ocean City, NJ, on the beach (low tide -sand was pretty hard).  Wow - this was a hard one!!  I wasn't as conditioned as I would have liked to be, and it was hot and humid, even at 8am!  Even though the sand was hard, it was not the best surface to run on.

I did run the whole thing, even though there were a few times I wanted to stop and walk, so I am proud that I kept running.  

My time was awful, but I finished, and I wasn't last!  Hubby and I spent the rest of the day enjoying the beach.   

Linn D.
on 8/24/08 11:25 am - Missoula, MT
Nice Job Elisa!

Isn't it cool when we accomplish something under less than ideal conditions?  I'm proud of you also!

Glad you also got to enjoy the beach!

Linn
Elisa K.
on 8/24/08 9:33 pm - Lumberton, NJ
Thank you Linn!!  We got a nice sea breeze later in the morning, but race time was so hot and humid!  I did not expect that at all!!  The beach was nice - that was probably my last beach day for the season, so I'm glad it was a nice one!
wjoegreen
on 8/24/08 11:32 am - Colonial Heights, VA
Nice job there Elisa!  That took some guts to do after the lay off and for breathing problem kaboot.  You got starch!
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
Elisa K.
on 8/24/08 9:34 pm - Lumberton, NJ
Thanks Joe!!  I am a little disappointed, because I wanted to better the time from my first race, and actually wound up taking about 5 minutes longer.  Oh well, my next race is the end of September, so I have time to get things in order.
Judi J.
on 8/24/08 12:13 pm - MN
Elisa: congratulations!

I'm still just starting to run and the mental urge to walk is kicking my butt. good for you!

judi
Elisa K.
on 8/24/08 9:36 pm - Lumberton, NJ
Thanks Judy!!  I wanted to walk so bad yesterday!!  I just kept telling myself  "You're all right, you're not going to die (that's my favorite - LOL)".  It works most of the time - LOL!

Just keep at it - you'll get past that urge! 
Seht
on 8/24/08 4:35 pm
Congrats on another victory.
Way to stick it out even when you don't want to.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Elisa K.
on 8/24/08 9:37 pm - Lumberton, NJ
Thank you so much Scott!!  It was a tough one, but I'm glad i did it!!  Hopefully I will do better next year!
MaryS
on 8/25/08 12:12 am - Long Island, NY

Elisa,

Good for you after just getting over your bronchitis.  You did a great job - running on the sand is much harder.  How nice that you got to spend some time on the beach after the race, that is a nice reward.

Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Most Active