How to start after being a couch potato

daniels08
on 8/23/08 1:07 pm - Marion, IA
Most of you are running but I want to know how/what to do after doing nothing? My feet & legs hurt b/c of my weight. How did you get moving again - moving through the physical pain?
wjoegreen
on 8/23/08 2:17 pm - Colonial Heights, VA
I started walking for 5 mins.  That progessed to 15 mins, thenm 30 and eventually 2 hrs at a time.  As the weight fell off and the muscles toned and I could breath better, I started jogging some on my walking route.  Then I signed up to do a 10K.  I've been jogging ever since.  2 yrs since WLS and 51 yrrs old.  Start at your own pace and work up from there.  The journey of 1000 miles begins with the first step.  If I can do this, you can be successful too.  I had swollen feet, ankles and calves.  I had foot, ankle, knee, hip, and lower back pain.  It has all gone away as I continued to exercise and progress.  You can do it!!!  Just go at your pace and don't worry about hwo you look or whether you are the fastest or coolest looking,...you will become both after time.
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
Garys
on 8/23/08 3:31 pm - Mesa, AZ
I started in a pool first. I walked laps in the shallow end. Walking in 3-4 feet of water was a lot less stressful on my joints. I progressed to swimming laps and walking in water.

Post surgery, I alternate days walking on a treadmill in the gym with swimming.

Initially, I think the water excercise was the best for me because:

A. No stress on the joints
B. Being in water I avoided overheating myself during the excercise.
C. Avoided injuring myself. I really had issues walking before my surgery and I required the use of a cane to walk. I was afraid of falling and hurting myself (I had done that before).

D. Water is a "Enjoyable" form of exercising.

"Controlling my food,    instead of my food controlling Me!

MaryS
on 8/23/08 8:58 pm - Long Island, NY
I started walking also.  Very short distances, very slowly in the beginning but gradually built up speed and time.  If you feet and legs hurt and walking is uncomfortable I think getting started in a pool is a great suggestion.  If you don't have one, just take it easy.  You don't want to get injured.  You'll be amazed at how quickly you improve as the weight starts to come off and you build up your strength and endurance.

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Linn D.
on 8/24/08 12:26 am - Missoula, MT
I was always active before surgery, so it was different for me, but I really like the idea of starting in the pool if you have access to one.  I belong to a women's gym, but there are people there who ONLY exercise in the water.  A lot of them do their own thing, but there are tons of water aerobics classes.  If you can manage one of them, I think it would be good, because one of the main reasons to exercise is for overall health.  As soon as you're able, it's really important to get your heart rate up for at least 30 minutes 5 times a week.  You may or may not notice the pounds coming off, but your body will thank you in the long run.

Linn
Most Active