crunchy feeling muscles

KTBee
on 8/21/08 10:23 am
I amped up my workouts 8 months ago.  I lift free weights.  I have to get a massage every week and I consistently have crunchy shoulder muscles that pop when massaged and feel like they have rope laying across them and being rolled over.  I know I sound like I do when I go to the mechanic and tell him the car sounds like chunka chunka chunka lunka when I start it.  But this is the best I can describe it.  I have searched the web and talked to trainers and no one seems to know what it is.  My son thinks it is a build up of lactic acid and tells me to drink more.  I drink a gallon a day and really can't get much more down.

Does anyone have any ideas about the cause and cure.  After all this time, I thought it would go away. 

thanks ahead of time

Katy
MaryS
on 8/21/08 9:21 pm - Long Island, NY
Katy,

Sorry I don't have any help for you - I've never experience anything that sounds similar.  I will however state what is probably the obvious, are you stretching regularly?

Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

KTBee
on 8/21/08 9:55 pm

That is exactly the question I would ask.  I do stretch but where I have the most trouble is pretty hard to stretch out--the very top of the trapezius and the ligament connect to the deltoid but not the deltoid.  Trapezius shrugs just seem to make it tighter and knot it up worse.

This is a case of putting up with something and then suddenly thinking, "why am I putting up with this....it hurts!" LOL

Katy

coachkelly
on 8/22/08 4:55 am
Katy, do your muscles make this noise or is it in the joint? Do you have pain with lifting any of the weights? Do you hear the noise only with certain movements? Please respond to these questions and I will try to help you. I do not think it is a build up of lactic acid though. Have a great weekend.
KTBee
on 9/8/08 2:07 am
Since I am recovering from knee surgery, even the upper body lifting has stopped this week.  And so have the pains.  No, it isn't the joints, it is the muscles themselves.  It is enough to freak out a massage therapist.  I think I tense way too much when I lift.  Everyone has areas that they put their tension in, this is mine.  But as a result it was where I saw the most results from.  I have great shoulders and a totally non-saggy neck after losing almost 170 pounds.  The results surprised me because I honestly expected to have a saggy neck and lots of excess skin in my shoulders instead of  looking lean and chiseled.  Too bad I can't figure out how to relocate my stress to my lower abs or upper thighs!

I have tried relaxing but don't seem to get the results I want in other places.  I wonder if it is a matter of coordination and body control?  Any suggestions are welcome.  Thanks.
Most Active