Thursday Training!!

Linn D.
on 8/21/08 8:25 am - Missoula, MT

How's everyone this fine Thursday?  I had one of my best late week workouts in a long time, thanks to Jeremy's recovery advice!

It was a spin class then run day today.  Gotta love the bricks.  Anyway, the class was great - concentrated on VO2 and then did 4 miles on the tread in 35:14. 

Hope everyone had great workouts!

Linn
Elisa K.
on 8/21/08 9:40 am - Lumberton, NJ
Hey Linn:
I ran about 3.5 (very slow!) miles.  I was shooting for 3.75, but I am just getting over bronchitis, so I'll take it - LOL!  I could breath just fine - my legs were so tired!!  I wasn't able to run for about a month.  I can't believe how fast you lose your stamina!!  I am hoping I can get back to where I was next week.
Linn D.
on 8/21/08 10:40 pm - Missoula, MT
It does seem a little unfair how hard we work to get fit and then how quickly it can go away!  The good thing is that it comes back faster than what it took to build in the first place.

Brian W.
on 8/21/08 12:21 pm - Belmont, CA
Nice work Linn

I did 5 miles today myself in 50:50 which was a personal best.  So close to a sub 50 5 miler lol

I'm upping my mileage this week, so my 9 miler on Sunday will be interesting

Brian
~350
Linn D.
on 8/21/08 10:42 pm - Missoula, MT
Brian,

You're doing great!  It seems that I can either work on speed or distance - never both at once.  I'm sure you're long run will go fine.

Linn
MaryS
on 8/21/08 9:18 pm - Long Island, NY
Linn,

I need to take some time to read the advice on recovery and diet.  I am pretty much winging these days.  I am grateful to be exercising with the amount of free time I've had! 

I did a 6 mile run in Central Park.  It was a beautiful evening here and I was so grateful to be able to get out and run.  It was one of the runs where I was extra aware of how thankful I am to have lost all weight and to be able to get out and enjoy a run on a beautiful night.

Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Linn D.
on 8/21/08 10:47 pm - Missoula, MT
Hey Mary,

My late week runs felt so awful that when Joe posted about age and recovery I listened to what Jeremy said.  One of my biggest problems was that I wasn't eating nearly soon enough.  I still find I have no appetite, but I must say that I've been having ~300 cal (primarily carbs with around 10g protein) within 30 minutes of my workouts and I even notice that my legs don't feel tired going upstairs at home.  Really has made a big difference.

Linn
MaryS
on 8/21/08 11:02 pm - Long Island, NY
Linn,

What are you eating post workout?  Do you find this has helped with workouts overall?  Or mostly with the recovery of the last workout?

Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Linn D.
on 8/22/08 2:10 pm - Missoula, MT
Mary,

What I eat post-workout kind of depends on what I have on hand or how far ahead I'm thinking.  I've had biscotti and nuts, peanut butter and jelly sandwich, tuna or ham wraps.  I try to get around 4:1 carb to protein ratio.  If the workout was extra long like a brick or a long run, I'll eat that again about 2 hours later.

I think it helps mostly with the recovery, but if I have more fuel for my workouts because I've replenished better, I actually feel much better doing them.  Like I've said before, my Thursday run usually sucks.  Not only does it feel bad, I can't keep up the same intensity.  This week's Thurs run was after the spin class and I felt just as good as I did on Tues.

Linn
MaryS
on 8/23/08 9:00 pm - Long Island, NY
Thanks Linn.  I don't think my eating is bad overall, but I do need to try to give some focus to eating better for the recovery aspect.

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Most Active