Screamin Knees - 5k Run - Run? I can't even walk!!!!

Kathy S.
on 8/21/08 1:23 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with
Hey Everyone, 

Well, yesterday was a cross-train day for 45-60mins.  I didn't want anything jarring since my back was still sore so I decided to swim some laps.  Now keep in mind, me swimming laps is getting half way down the lane and then ended up doing the doggie paddle and kick. Man, I thought I was in shape but just goes to show you that doing new things is awesome as you are  humbled. 

Well, today we are scheduled to run 5 - 400 meter laps.  I know my challenge is just to run the entire way without walking.  Boy, oh boy..I may need more than 6 weeks

Here is the problem, when I got up this morning I could barely walk, must less run  So tonight will be interesting for sure

That being said, LET'S GET GOING

Let me know how it's going, what issues you are running into or what is working for you and remember our quote "OUR MINDS QUIT BEFORE OUR LEGS DO!

Take care,
Kathy

PS....  I tried to get a copy of the schedule on my profile but it wouldn't line up correctly, so email me and I will send a copy to you. 

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Linn D.
on 8/21/08 3:06 am - Missoula, MT

Kathy,

Is it your legs or your back that's sore?

If it's your legs, then chances are you're doing more anaerobic work and building up lots of lactate that can't be moved or used.  In this case it's better to work less hard or breathe more when you swim.  Another thing to be conscious of is eating something primarily carb right after your workout so you can recover better.  I took Jeremy's advice he gave Joe and it's working wonders for me.  I had my best late week workout in a long time today.

Also be sure to have a light carb snack prior to working out (1-200 cal) so your muscles have fuel to work.

Sometimes my back is sore, but I can usually still run and it often feels better when I'm done.  It all depends on the kind of pain I'm having.

Take care of yourself.

Linn
Kathy S.
on 8/21/08 4:21 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with
Hi Linn

My legs were fine right after running but my back was sore.  I think I need to get a new pair of shoes and that may help.  Then the second day after running my upper thighs were sore.  I know it's all part of getting in shape...

Thank you for the suggestions, i will give it a try.

Take care,
Kathy

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Most Active