Achy Knees - Alittle long- Need help.

misstilly
on 8/20/08 3:52 am - Cosby, TN
I did a 5K 2 weeks ago it was a cross country one at the end we came down a hill that was a little washed out and made a turn when I turn my left knee felt a little funny.  I finished the run and was fine.  That Monday when I went to the gym my knee was aching a little but I managed to run 6.5 miles thru the ache. It lasted a couple a days then went away.  This past Monday I got to go to the gym and my knee and calf felt like I had a cramp in it during the night, but I still managed to run 6.5 miles.  Well as the day went on my knee got worse wehnt to the dr. and she said that I just needed to rest it because it didn't feel like any ligaments where damaged and just rerst for a week.  Well now it it Wednesday and I have no pain at all.  Do you think it would be alright to go to the gym and try running?  I am so addicted to this now that I get ansy when I can't run.  Would a knee brace help or would it break down the ligaments?  Any advice would be great.

Sue

215/210/117/120
HW/SW/CW/GOAL  I'M AT MY GOAL

Linn D.
on 8/20/08 4:28 am - Missoula, MT
Sue,

If the doc was an orthopedic surgeon knowledgeable in sports injury and said to rest it a week, I'd rest it a week.  If it was your PCP, please go see an ortho doc.  You might also see about physical therapy from someone who specializes in sports injuries.  There are lots of reasons knees hurt, and sometimes they really do need rest and sometimes what they need is care. 

Don't use a brace unless it was measured for you and given to you for a specific purpose.  They CAN do more harm than good.

That's all I have for you.  I am very cautious with my knees since I've had several scopes and don't want any more for quite some time.

Linn
Most Active