Screamin Knees - 5k Run - Let's Get Started!

Kathy S.
on 8/20/08 4:46 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with
Hey Everyone

I am alive....I am alive....I was surprised, the knees held out but the old back said NO WAY

Went last night to the Y and there were about 30 people there training for the 5k.  I was so happy to see there were other beginners other than me. 

They took role and then had us run a warm up lap.  I was impressed, I was not winded and ran the entire way.  I usually walk more than run.  Then they told us that was not the track we would be running on   I knew it was to good to be true.    We started our run and I was able to run half of the 5k and then walked on and off the rest.  Where I feel I went wrong (for me) was I should have slowed but not walked.  It seemed once I stopped it was impossible to get back in the groove.

Afterwards they talked to us and I want to share with you what they had to say.

1.)  Get a good pair of shoes.  Go to a store that will have you run on a treadmill and then they can see how you are running and get you the proper shoe.
2.)  Don't run through pain.  If you feel pain anywhere stop
3.)  Always warm up

I asked how do you keep going when  you feel you can't?  They said it's all mental.  "YOUR MIND WILL QUIT BEFORE YOUR LEGS"!  I thought that was so right in all we do in life.

They gave me a training schedule.  I am in the process of putting it on my profile if you want a copy, or email me.  I am just going to put down here what we are to do for fraining for the day. 
So my friends, LET'S GET GOING

Today for training is a cross-train day for 45-60 mins.  That is anything cardio and light weights if you want.  But anything cardio other than running.

Tomorrow is 5 laps of 400 meters.

If you are new at this  then you want to work on your endurance.  I have to keep working on getting in the entire 5k running without stopping to walk.  That is my goal.  For those of you that can run the entire 5k, then you want to work on increasing speed.  They are going to be doing some drills to help those with increasing your speed so I will be sure and share with you.

Come on Screamin Knees, we can do it

Take care,
Kathy

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Most Active