Cross Training

Amanda K.
on 8/19/08 11:55 pm - Leesburg, VA
What's your favorite cross training? Or can anyone give me some more ideas other than swimming and elliptical?

Amanda  

wjoegreen
on 8/20/08 1:05 am - Colonial Heights, VA
I thought the variety of walking, fartlek, intervals, and easy runs was cross training.
I try to not be cross when I train and if I am when I start, I am usually better by the time I finish.
Golf is a good change of pace for me , but seriuosly, walking (I got a hand cart for walking instead of riding when playing golf) and weight training is about all the cross training I do.  I am thinking about adding some bike riding in as I have acquired a bike but don't want to lose any more training time wth my running and upcoming rgistered events.
Probably not what you were fishing for but thats my contribution. 
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
Kevin A.
on 8/20/08 1:06 am - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
I do weight on my own or I take a body pump class at the gym also spin class is another great workout.

"You have to be uncompromised in your level of commitment to whatever you are doing, or it can disappear as fast as it appeared." ~Michael Jordan~
Deanna34
on 8/20/08 1:07 am - Salem, OR
My very favorite thing is kick-boxing!  It's fun and it makes me feel tough!  I also do spin classes and weight lifting but kick boxing is my favorite by far and it's a really good cardio work out!  --Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

Linn D.
on 8/20/08 2:03 am - Missoula, MT
Amanda,

Since you're a runner, I seriously doubt you could get much benefit from the elliptical anymore.  It's too hard for me to get my heart rate up, so I don't even get on them anymore.

Strength training isn't cross training to me.  It's a separate animal - partly again because you don't really get your heart going.  Cross training IS cardio, so whatever you like to do that gets your heart rate up while not on your feet is good.  I like to do spin classes (now that I have a bike, I'll be getting on it rather than some of the spin classes), and I also like mountain biking.  I see lots of folks at my gym on the rowing machines also.

Linn
Amanda K.
on 8/20/08 2:34 am - Leesburg, VA
Hi Linn,

Thanks for that.  I keep seeing people doing biking as a cross training. I've always been told that it uses the same muscles as your legs, so if you are to do any running say the next day, you'll find your muscles are really really tired.  So I try to stay way from anything that will use the same running muscles on XT days...

Am I off base?  Have you heard this?

Amanda
 Amanda  

Linn D.
on 8/20/08 4:18 am - Missoula, MT
I routinely do spin classes T,Th, and often on Sat or Sun depending on which day I do my long run, and right now I'm running on T,W, Th, Sat, Sun.  If you think about it, nearly everything you would do for cardio uses your legs.  With my new running schedule, I do brick workouts on Tues and Thurs.  The running motion is very different from the biking motion and although they both rely heavily on the quad muscles, each activity uses those muscles differently.  One of the main reasons for cross training is to get good cardio workouts without having the pound on your feet and body.  Elliptical trainers also use the same muscles, so I don't see why that would be good and biking wouldn't.

Recovery may be more of an issue than muscle usage.  If you're using the same muscles and continue depleting glycogen stores without replenishing them, the muscles will be fatigued.  The cause isn't muscle usage then, the problem is really recovery.  I'm consciously trying to eat the way Jeremy suggested for Joe after my workouts in order to recover better and restore glycogen and it seems to be working.  I had problems with my long run last week, but muscle fatigue wasn't one of them.  I haven't had any trouble with fatigue this week either, so I'm definitely thinking that recovery is more important than I realized.  See Joe's post about age and fatigue from a week or so ago.  Jeremy gives some great advice.

Linn
Amanda K.
on 8/20/08 5:15 am - Leesburg, VA
Good Points Linn!!

Im learning so much!!!
 Amanda  

puddin2day
on 8/21/08 1:45 am - Los Angeles, CA
Amanda,

I like to ride my bike for cross-training.

Kim
Without struggle, there is no progress.

Most Active