Half Ironman Training

Sherry_Berry
on 8/19/08 10:22 am - Dacula, GA
Was it Lynn who was looking for an example. I went back into my workout log to give you a few.

My basic schedule is this:
Monday-recovery swim
Tuesday-Hellish trainer workout and brick
Wed-speedwork in pool...bike
Thursday-speedwork for run/weights
Friday-swim, bike, run
Sat-long ride/brick
Sunday-long run/recovery ride/weights

Here's an example of a Tuesday ride...keep in mind, I use 4 HR zones...most people use 1-5A/B

Warm-up: 20 min, 5x 45 sec fast spin, 30 seconds rest.
Main set: 12 min steady at HR#3 as: 4x (1 min big gear seated/ 1 min big gear standing/ 1 min fast spin), 5x 40 sec SLD, 9 min steady at HR#3 as: 3x (1 min big gear seated/ 1 min big gear standing/ 1 min fast spin), 4x 30 sec fast spin, 30 seconds rest. 4x 30 sec SLD, 30 seconds rest after both legs.
Cool-down: 10-15 min.
MAKE SURE YOUR GETTING YOUR FLUIDS AND FOOD OR YOUR GONNA HAVE A TOUGH TRANSITION RUN!!!!!

Brick: 40 minutes

Here's a Wednesday Swim:
WU: 500 free, 3x100 RLCS on 30sr, 200 kick.
MS: 5x 200 free easy on 20 sec rest, 6x 50m free dec 1-3,4-6 on 10sr, 8x 100 fast as possible on 45 sec rest, OUCH!!!!!!!!!!
CD: 300 as 150 free/150 pull.

Thursday Speed:
Warm-up: 20 min and stretch, 10 min second warm-up gradually getting faster.
Main set: 6x 300 run at 5km pace on 3 min interval, 3x 800 run at 5km pace, 2 min recovery,
1 mile Time Trail, Go for it! USE THE SAME COURSE YOU USED FOR THE 2 MILE TT.

Let's just say I don't know how to pace a mile...I totally bombed and had to WALK!
Linn D.
on 8/19/08 10:35 am - Missoula, MT
Sherry,

Thank you so much!  It WAS me who asked, but I think Curt and Scott were also interested.

I truly appreciate you taking the time to do this.  Will 5 months be enough?  The marathon I'm going to start training for here shortly is in January, the 70.3 is in June.

Linn
Sherry_Berry
on 8/19/08 10:44 am - Dacula, GA
You'll be fine. YOu have a few years of running behind you.

Your weakness is your swim. Unfortunately, swim is not like the bike and run. You can't just hop in the pool and get better. Time/effort in does not equal the results you'd see by putting more time on the bike and run.

I recommend you get some PRIVATE lessons...not group ones. The cost and personal attention you receive are priceless. Also, see who has the UNDERWATER video. I HATE seeing my thighs jiggle, but wow. It's good to see what's going on "under there."

I did my first spring Oct 06 and my first half the following may. I got injured on the bike and HOBBLED the run, so my finish was unimpressive. Crap. I was lucky to even make it off the bike.

You just got a new roadbike, right? Start getting comfy on the roads. Get a trainer. You'll need it for indoors, especially for the northerners. I'm lucky and can ride pretty much all winter. I don't like riding the trainer, but it's a nice challenge. Get some spinnervals to mix things up.
Linn D.
on 8/19/08 11:07 am - Missoula, MT
Yeah, I know about the swim.  As you said, Crap!  My husband saw my first tri and agrees with your assessment wholeheartedly!  There are a couple good swim instructors here, I just haven't sought them out yet.  Okay, okay, I'll do it.  Soon.  It's good cross-training anyway.

I did do a short ride (7 miles) yesterday afternoon in traffic, and am no longer afraid I won't get unclipped when I need to.  I'm execited about using it for the race this weekend.  I like the bike so far, but I may have to see about making it more 'girly.'

Thanks again and I truly am listening.  I know it sucks to give advice to people who just want you to tell them what they want to hear.  I HATE that I'm so bad at swimming, and it's taken a lot of courage for me to even start doing the tris this year.  I don't want to hate any aspect of this, and as I improve, I will be much happier with me and the 'doability' of these goals.  No one else but me cares about how I do, but I  DO care very deeply.

Linn
kypdurran
on 8/19/08 11:13 pm - Baton Rouge, LA

Linn the thing about the swim that's different than the bike and run is that more base volume of training with bad form does not make you better, improve your endurance or your efficiency.   With the bike and run, even if you have really crappy form, you will gain speed, endurance, efficiency and a good base.  You will get benefits from the training.  Put in the time on the saddle and time on the pavement and your stamina, speed and endurance will imrpove.   The swim, not so much.   

I took a few classes to get my stroke efficiency improved and it was money well spent.   As of right now I'm around 45 minutes under the 2:20 cutoff time for the full course Ironman swim so that's pretty much where I wanted to be BUT I could still use PLENTY of improvement.

Linn D.
on 8/20/08 2:16 am - Missoula, MT
Thanks Chad.

The cost is a little prohibitive for me right now, so that's the main reason I'm dragging my feet.  I still have to buy books for school. 

I'm resigned to the fact that I do really need help, and I'm getting there.  Just need to plan it in the budget.  Also, I don't do real well with criticism of any kind and it's important that I'm in the proper frame of mind to be coached.  I'm there now, so I should be coachable in the very near future.

Again, thanks for the input. 

Linn
Most Active