Newbie with a running question

beckie
on 8/19/08 1:00 am - CT
RNY on 12/27/04 with
Hello...
My name is Beckie and I had open RNY almost 4 years ago... how time flies!

Since WLS, I had two beautiful baby girls .... now, that I am back to focusing on me and my weight loss (I have about 19 pounds left that I want to lose.... I lost all my pregnancy weight, this is weight that I never got off before getting pg).

Anyway, I have been following the couch to 5K program for running.  Today, I completed a mile in 14 minutes... (remember, I just started and at least a thrid of the time I was walking at a decent pace).

I have had one knee surgery and I have noticed my knees are a little achy.  Is there any specific exercises to maybe strengthen them up? Anything that worked for you?

Thanks in advance,
Beckie
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. ~Albert Einstein~
liz A.
on 8/19/08 1:18 am
I do becks...I'll fax them to ya.

chocolate, chocolate, chocolate!  ACK!  
                                    -liz lemon

puddin2day
on 8/19/08 1:52 am - Los Angeles, CA
Beck,

Make sure that the shoes that you are wearing are the correct type for your feet.  What happens with your feet affects your whole body.   You also have to remember that for every lb. that you weigh, when you run, 3 times the amt. you weigh comes down with every step you take.  Go to a running store and make sure that they shoes that you wearing are correct.  If you don't know if you have a local running store, go to yahoo and type in running stores in "whatever city you live in".

Good luck.

Kim
Without struggle, there is no progress.

Linn D.
on 8/19/08 2:42 pm - Missoula, MT
Cross training - especially biking - is excellent for the knees.  It strengthens the quads which also support the knees.  It's also a good way to get in more cardio on the days you don't run.  Cardio at least 5 days a week for 30 minutes or more is important for health, and that's one reason I do it.  Besides, I love to bike and really like spin classes as well even though I consider myself mainly a runner.

I've had 5 scopes total (3 right 2 left), and I use ice when I think about it for the swelling that is the main cause of the pain.  I also use ibuprofen and naproxen occasionally as well, though I know most folks don't use either.

Linn
Most Active