CALLING ALL CYCLISTS

sam_in_TN
on 8/19/08 12:42 am - Oak Ridge, TN
If you ride a bike for fun and fitness please let us know who you are. We want to hear about your experience pre and post op, tell us why you started cycling and what it has done for you. tell us how you manage fluids and energy and what you do to prevent bonking. We want an eventual sticky thread for future Lance Armstrong wannabe's
Team Gastric members sign in for the Giro de Bypass!
puddin2day
on 8/19/08 1:59 am - Los Angeles, CA
Hi Sam,

I have recently started biking with my cruiser (Townie 21 by Electra Bikes).  I love it. Pre-op I did not bike at all.  I wanted cross-train in regards to my running.  I recently purchased a pair of cycling shorts and a Camelbak for hydration.  I carry a couple of energy bars and I am good to go.  Two weeks ago, I biked from Venice Beach to the Redondo Beach Pier back to the Santa Monica Pier...28.4 miles.  Last week, I participated in the San Diego's Midnight Madness... 18 miles and by the time I rode back to the hostel , you can add another 2 miles to that.

Kim
Without struggle, there is no progress.

sam_in_TN
on 8/20/08 11:39 am - Oak Ridge, TN
That's awesome Kim!
I have an Electra Townie as well, great bikes, and tough too! (mine fell off my bike rack on the highway at 50 mph and survived with hardly a scratch)
I hope I can get up to the kind of mieage you are doing when I am post op.
-Sam
puddin2day
on 8/21/08 1:11 am - Los Angeles, CA
You will Sam; don't worry.

Kim
Without struggle, there is no progress.

(deactivated member)
on 8/22/08 5:28 am - Southlake, TX
Pre op at 380 pounds, I don't think there was a bike out there that could hold me.  Almost 11 months post op at 180 pounds gone, I am a riding devil!  I started around March doing a few miles here and there (mountain biking not road).  I am up to 40 miles of rough trails every weekend.  I spend about 4 hours on my Saturday's and Sunday's.  It is my addiction so to speak.  I also joined a team and we have races from time to time.  Anybody in the Fort Worth, TX area should look into www.fwmba.org.  Great people!
Most Active