anyone watch the Womens olympic marathon

Seht
on 8/18/08 6:33 am
I watched all of it the other night, and I keep thinking about the announcers comments.
Early on these women were running 5:40 miles and he kept referring to them as pedestrian times, and that they needed to pick up the pace.

I'm sure for them it probably was slow, but omg I'm lucky to manage a sub 12 minute mile and then it's only one of them. 

It's funny what this weight loss has done for me,  I'm interested in exercise, I'm actually trying to run, and I watch 2+ hours of marathon on T.V.   In previous years that would have required a bunch of beer and a couple bags of nachos.  Now I was watching it for fun and to see the effort these athletes put out.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Linn D.
on 8/18/08 7:13 am - Missoula, MT
Hey Scott,

I watched it too!  The winner was a 38-year-old with a teenager. 

I'm with you on the speeds they run, it sure is amazing.  I'm trying to be able to get 8-minute miles consistently within the next year or so to qualify for Boston or New York City.  Right now I'm doing good to run at 9's.

As I was watching, it was also impressive to me that these ladies kept running the best they could to finish at the Olympics even knowing they weren't going to win or medal (Paula Radcliff).

Linn
Seht
on 8/18/08 7:15 am
I know that was awesome that it wasn't some 20 something that won.

I find it absolutely amazing that people can do that to their bodies, and continue to keep going.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Deanna34
on 8/18/08 7:19 am - Salem, OR
Yes, me too!!!  I found myself cheering them on at the end saying "You're almost there!!!"  Most of the time I can't even keep a 10 minute mile for any length of run ... by the time they finished, I wouldn't have even been half way done!  --Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

Scott William
on 8/18/08 9:15 pm
If I had to, I could probably keep up with them for one lap on a track at that pace.  Then they would keep it up for another 104 laps and I would have ruined my entire run.  It is amazing.  I am looking forward to the men since the American women were "out" early.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Rob S.
on 8/19/08 3:25 am - DE

Yes it was extraordinary.  Incredible willpower and stamina.  But what's with the smelling salt.  That was definitely a new one for me.
Rob

Amanda K.
on 8/19/08 12:35 pm - Leesburg, VA
I have to agree with that Rob.  What IS with the smelling salts??? I think I might  if I did that at mile 22 or so...

Amanda  

liz A.
on 8/19/08 6:28 am
I could not believe how fast she was moving!!  I think I picked my jaw up off the floor :)

and the guys doing some short distance, I dont know what.  omg, their legs were moving so fast it looked like they were standing still!   crazy!!!

chocolate, chocolate, chocolate!  ACK!  
                                    -liz lemon

Amanda K.
on 8/19/08 12:34 pm - Leesburg, VA
I KNOW RIGHT!! Did the announcer forget it was HUMID there.... The mens marathon is this weekend....  I can't wait!!

I thought the women did great! I felt for Paula R though, would have liked her to have a better Olympics.  I can't imagine running a 5 mm...... Im just breaking into the 12 mm category.....

I do love getting stronger and running longer. I love my WLS! :)
 Amanda  

misstilly
on 8/20/08 3:43 am - Cosby, TN
I also watched the whole thing.  I was also wondering what the smelling salts did, does anyone have a answer?  I am also hjaving a hard time keeping a 10 minute mile up so I was very impressed with those ladies.  Maybe some day, but first I have to accomplish a 10K since I have done3 5K's now I think I want to try a 5K.

Sue

215/210/117/120
HW/SW/CW/GOAL  I'M AT MY GOAL

Most Active