long run Sunday

panhead58fl
on 8/18/08 5:12 am - Barboursville, WV
Hi guys,

I did my long run yesterday, didn't really feel good, but it turned out pretty good when I looked at the time. Had to run through some pain. The farthest I had ran was 10 miles in 1:35:00 or something close to that. I am trying to work up to a 1/2 marathon in Nov. Yesterday I ran 11 miles in 1:43:45 wich comes out to 9:35 pace, which is actually what I was trying to maintain. It was a real battle for the last mile and a half or so. Walked a half a mile for a cool down and then streched for fifteen minutes before going home.

I tried something after I got home last evening that I had read that would help my recovery. I did the cold soak in the bath tub. I did not put ice in the water like they say to do I just sat down in the water and turned on the cold water till it covered my legs. I sat there for about 45 minutes and when I got out they did feel better.

I really thought that after running 10 miles a couple of times that adding 3 more to it would be a piece of cake. Not so. I have time that I think I will get there before Nov.

I walked 2 miles at lunch today and I think I will survive. This evening I will probably just walk some more or do a easy ride on the bike at the gym.

pan head
Seht
on 8/18/08 6:33 am
Congrats on the long run and the successful increase in your distance.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

panhead58fl
on 8/19/08 3:33 am - Barboursville, WV
Thanks, Scott

Amazing what loosing 200 lbs can do for ya. Two years ago I couldn't walk around the block with out being soaking wet and in pain from my knee.

pan head
Linn D.
on 8/18/08 7:07 am, edited 8/18/08 7:08 am - Missoula, MT
Honest, Pan Head, if you can do 10 you can do a half.  When I did my most recent one last month, I'ld only done 10 a couple times in the few weeks before.  Once you're in the race environment, the next 3 is way easier than you'd think.  That last one I did was a PR by 15 minutes (even with 3 potty stops)!

Linn
panhead58fl
on 8/19/08 3:37 am - Barboursville, WV
That is what I am counting on. I always run faster at a race than I seem to practice. I would like to do the full 13 a time or two before then. Next year I want to do a full marathon so I want to keep on adding more miles. Thanks for the encouragement.

pan head
puddin2day
on 8/19/08 2:17 am - Los Angeles, CA
Congrats on your long run.  Do I see a half -marathon in the distance?
Without struggle, there is no progress.

panhead58fl
on 8/19/08 3:40 am - Barboursville, WV
That's the plan for this year, next year a full marathon I hope.

Thanks,
pan head
Most Active