Treadmill Boredom!!!!

Kirsty1314
on 8/17/08 12:59 am - Bayville, NY
I'm 4 weeks post-op from lap-band surgery.  I've been tryin to get to the gym but the problem is, being on the treadmill for an hour or two bores me.....any suggestions?  When can I start some light weight lifting?  Anyone have any suggestions to spice up the treadmill a bit? Blahhh I miss being able to do whatever I wanted in the gym and I'd like to get back to working with a personal trainer but I feel like what's the point if the treadmill is my only option??

Thanks!!!
~Kirsten
MaryS
on 8/17/08 1:23 am - Long Island, NY
Kirsten,

You probably want to check with your surgeon on getting back to weights.  If I remember correctly it was 6 weeks for me after my lap RNY.  It's great that you can do 1-2 hours on the treadmill!  I can relate to the boredom issue.  How about mixing in other cardio like the bike and elliptical?This was you can do the same amount of time and get more variety in the routine.

Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

totalfreedom
on 8/17/08 2:52 am - Northern CA
Hi Kirsten,

Congratulations on getting into exercises right away. This will assist you in your weight loss journey success. I understand the boredom on the treadmill. I go to the gym and I don't like watching the news or TV while I run, but I love music. I finally purchased an IPOD. I have created some running session playlists. this helps me keep focused and energized. As the songs change, my posture, attitude and speed will reflect the mood of the song.

Of course the playlists will get predictable after awhile, that is why I suggest more then one, so you can change it up!

I've been thinking about downloading a book to the IPOD. That may work, too.

Hope this helps...

Kelli

Kelli
5' 1, 221pds to 120pds, BMI: 42.5 to 22.8, Size 22WP to 2P.  
Dr. Agha-Newport Beach, CA:  
12.29.08:TT/LBL/UTL/BL/Butt Aug!
 5.10.09: Face/Neck Lift,Implants,lipo, lower eyelids,fat transfer

Linn D.
on 8/17/08 6:11 am - Missoula, MT
Kirsten,

I've heard this same thing from many folks.  I run on the treadmill all the time and don't have much trouble, but I agree with both the other posters about either changing up your cardio or adding music.  When I do my long runs, I try to do it when the spin classes are happening so I get to listen to their music (I can't use any headphones I've ever tried).  Another thing I like to do is change up speeds.  Some days I just want a consistent speed, but on others I like to increase the rate every mile or do intervals of fast/normal.

If your gym has spinning classes, they are GREAT cardio - high intensity workouts that burn a lot of calories.  I trust you're getting your heart rate up to over 130 even when you're walking, right?  I find it harder to get bored when I'm working hard.

Linn
Amanda K.
on 8/17/08 11:49 am - Leesburg, VA
Definetly check with your doc on the light weight lifting, you should be able to do them soon though, I would think.

What about doing the hills or random programs on the treadmills? Then you won't know what's coming :)
 Amanda  

Scott William
on 8/18/08 9:17 pm
When I started on the treadmill, I would read a book.  It wasn't an issue if I was walking.  Running was a different story.  I would use paper clips to keep the pages from turning.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Most Active