I'm curious

michelle O.
on 8/16/08 10:26 pm - Tampa, FL
First I read all these amazing stories of you all out there running and doing marathons...it's not only inspirational but AWESOME!!
 My curiosity is how do you all run? Did any of you have knee issues prior to loosing your weight? I would love to get into jogging/running however my knees simply have an issue with the idea. So I was just curious about how you all run or if you were lucky enough not to have knee issues.
Thanks for the continued inspiration!
Michelle
Cassie W.
on 8/16/08 10:48 pm
Hi Michelle,

I started running when I was 6 months out from surgery and 27 pounds from my goal.  Because of the pounding on the joints, I only run three days a week and supplement my running with biking, stretching and core work.  I don't have knee issues, but I have to protect my ankle, which can sideline me for a couple of weeks at a time if I try to do too much, too fast. 

I started with a beginners' running group.  We ran 1 minute out of 30 and walked the other 29.  Each time we ran, we increased the ratio of running to walking until we could run a continuous 30 minutes. From there we slowly increased our mileage so that we were ready for a 15K after five months of training.  I enjoyed it so much that I set my sights on longer distances.

With your knee issues, you may want to talk to a doctor or a physical therapist to see if there are things you can do to strengthen and protect them if you have your heart set on running.  I think the two most important tips are to make sure you get fitted for a good pair of running shoes and progress slowly. 

Best of luck to you.

Cassie

"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

michelle O.
on 8/17/08 11:54 am - Tampa, FL
Thanks for the great input! I actually have bad arthritis in them from being heavy...I would love to be able to take up jogging...however have been adivsed not to. Not to mention every time I have tried the lovely pain starts right up and I have a difficult time walking the next few days.
 I wish you all the best with jogging/running! I'm living through you all vicariously!
Linn D.
on 8/17/08 12:01 am - Missoula, MT
Michelle,

If you've read any of my posts recently regarding age, you'll know I'm over 40.  I've had knee pain most of my life, but my condition isn't related to ligaments, tendons, or muscle strength.  It has to do with the way they're put together.  I have a pretty constant 'rub' under the knee cap that leaves some feathery bone and cartilage underneath and I've had 3 scopes on the right and 2 on the left over the years to remove some of that.  It seems that, for me, the increased running increses the lubrication and I have't had much knee pain at all the past year or more. 

Before I started running, I did see an orthopedic surgeon to be sure I didn't have any other problems.

I started running when I was 4 months post op and used Prevention magazine's walk to jog program.  It worked like a dream for me, but like Cassie said, it progresses you slowly enough that you can always see progress.  That was very important to me to see the progress for myself. 

I also totally agree about the shoes.  They are the most valuable item because with the right pair, injury prevention and good form are all helped.  I also need a very good sports bra (I wear one underneath a top with a shelf bra for 2 layers of support).

Even though I'm getting into triathlons, I still consider myself primarily a runner.  I really enjoy it!

Linn
MaryS
on 8/17/08 1:29 am - Long Island, NY
Michelle,

I agree with the advice on progressing slowly from walking to running.  You need to give your body time to adapt to the intensity of running.  I didn't have knee issues, worth speaking of, prior to losing weight.  I do have to be careful now because my left knee tends to want to twinge a little.  I did have a problem with plantar fasciitis - I had orthodics made and they have been a tremenous help.  Also, your shoes are extremely important - make sure you get fitted for a good pair of running shoes.  Another key to staying injury free - stretching!  I learned this one the hard way. 

Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Amanda K.
on 8/17/08 11:47 am - Leesburg, VA
Hi Michelle,

Im preparing for a 1/2 in September and just joined a marathon trianing program in january.  Becareful runnin can be addictive! :)

I like Lyn have had scopes done on my knees, but they often feel better the more I am moving an running. If I stop then they get really cranky.  I got back to running at 220 pounds and I started with the Couch 2 5K program from coolrunnings.com  Highly Reccomend it.  If you do a google search on Couch to 5K there should be a site that comes up that you can download the podcasts so you can put them on an mp3player or IPOD. 

I then joined a running class to finally teach me proper form and technique and work on speed and strength.  I found my local Running store had the class and I LOVE IT.

I ice my knees from time to time, but I know my quads and leg muscles are getting stronger ( I can feel them literally which is kind of cool!) and that will help the knees too...

Amanda
 Amanda  

Most Active